Sebastian

Convincing employer to introduce Macs at work

Sebastian    0

Hi,

I want to convince my employer to introduce Macs at work.

I have there arguments. In short:

1. Macs make users more productive because:
    1. easier and more intuitive to use than Windows
    2. less clicks to get to the target
    3. far fewer annoyances 
  2. Diversifying cyber risk
    1. most malware is OS specific i.e. most runs only on Windows
    2. we can diversify cyber risk by having a portion of computers being Macs
  3. Macs have lower TCO (total cost of ownership) than Windows PCs
    1. lower support calls
    2. higher residual value (http://www.cio.com/article/3133945/hardware/ibm-says-macs-save-up-to-543-per-user.html) and (http://www.businessinsider.com/an-ibm-it-guy-macs-are-300-cheaper-to-own-than-windows-2016-10)
    3. Monopolies (Microsoft Windows) in enterprise always mean high costs
  4. Better employee engagement
    1. users can use the tools they are most comfortable with
    2. driver for employee engagement - up 10% you at IBM (http://www.computerworld.com/article/3131906/apple-mac/ibm-says-macs-are-even-cheaper-to-run-than-it-thought.html)

I am preparing a presentation to our corporate development/strategy department and HR. I was wondering if you had any additional arguments, success stories (besides the one at IBM where they have 100,000 Macs deployed) or tips for me.

Kind regards

Sebastian

sttrek341    3

Hi Sebastian,

Just wondering if there is a specific reason for why you have Windows systems at the moment? Particular software or something else? To help provide specific examples.

But besides that, I think most of what you have stated is fair. I wish you luck on your quest! Hopefully they will see it as wise investment. 

Sebastian    0
Posted (edited)

There is no particular reason beyond that it has always been Windows, like for many large corporates.

I suppose that there is some software where no macOS version is available (SAP from what I understand does not run on macOS) but no all people have to use this software.

I held the presentation yesterday. It went quite well. The person uses Macs at home as well and understands my arguments. So not the question is how do we take it from here. I suppose trying to get IT involved at this early stage is not helpful. After all, they could have initiated something like that themselves. So we will probably approach it from the HR perspective.

Edited by Sebastian

sttrek341    3

Gotcha, at least she was receptive! That is always a good sign. 

I would possibly want to ask IT at some point, my reasoning for that is I don't know what point of the upgrade cycle they are in. Myself, I am about to purchase the update windows server license plus all respective CALs needed. So quite a pretty penny, especially if all of a sudden I just had Macs to support and wouldn't need these licenses. But yeah, I completely understand IT not taking that initiative, usually have plenty going on and it makes a bit of work to completely switch like that.

johnfoster    48
training is key to your move. I supported a company that thought, "gee, Macs are better than these Windows POS we should switch to that.” after 3 months the top people had it and returned to Windows out of frustration. they had learned how to work in Windows. and learning the new system meant they were always asking for help instead of doing. when their document sharing problems went away immediately after moving back they questioned the rest of the staff to find people tolerating the supposed upgrade. within 10 days the Macs were gone. and the grousing went away.

MacCast    80

John makes a VERY good point here. You can make all the cases you want for why the technology is better, simpler, easier, and will save you money. At the end of the day it's the people who have to benefit (or feel like they're benefiting). Most end users probably won't care if they lose productivity because they don't know how to use a Mac (and aren't interested in learning). The beast you know and all…

I assume you're just making the case for Macs being an option? These days there are very few reasons (beyond IT not wanting to support Macs) why you can't run a mixed environment. The one exception is if you just have an application or system that 100% doesn't support Macs. For many things though, office documents, email, etc. it should be just fine.

johnfoster    48
to follow up on my “training is key” comment, I filled out the rest of my thought. long ago my business was largely run by Macs. with the exception of the accounting computers. those have always been Windows because accounting software on a Mac sucks. all of the “money” people I have ever worked with used Windows. so QuickBooks running on Windows saved a ton time in a decade. the biggest problem there was getting Windows to print to a network printer. but that was solved by getting a better printer.

the TCO of Macs being cheaper is now a myth. there was a time, a very long time ago, when I could make a case for TCO for Macs being a better proposition. but that has equalized. Windows based computers are much cheaper. they are more repairable. and there are machines that are made with supporting a group of people more easily. like being about to swap a hard drive from a borked to a working machine by undoing a single screw.

repair costs for Macs are dramatically more compared to more generic hardware. replacing a borked MacBook Pro screen out of warrantee using Apple as the service can cost between $500 - $900 depending on the Mac and it’s age. remember that new MacBooks are unrepairable by anyone except Apple. read iFixit for the details about that. this means that AppleCare is a requirement for any MacBook purchase which adds $250-$350 to the cost of each Mac. 

there are perfectly workable computers that sell for what AppleCare costs. meaning when an employee breaks, loses, gets stolen, or pours a glass of water on the replacement cost is not going to break the bank. that Macbook Pro all decked out will fund EIGHT of those machines. one versus eight. I will take eight. or spending a little more money gets a better machine. especially if you forgo laptops for desktops. it is pretty amazing what $600-800 will buy.

johnfoster    48
one of the problems that I had with “artists” is that if I put an iMac in front of them they bitched because it was not “pro” enough. put a Macbook Pro there with a 24” screen on the side that frankly was less powerful but they were happier because of the airquotes pro in the name. mind set. ugh. perception. if I built a box from parts specifically with that artist in mind then I’m not only a hero in that person’s mind but I’m spending a lot less money. and I get to pick the GPU!

which is important because Adobe supports significantly more GPUs on Windows compared to Macs. if After Effects, Premiere, and Photoshop are your tools you will find more performance there compared to Macs. on a Mac you have to edit the .plist to enable unsupported cards. but you need to check what does work before purchasing one. oh wait, to run a modern GPU in a Mac means you are buying a 4 year old Mac Pro that costs <$1500 used or you are buying an un-upgradeable “trash can” Mac for even more. granted that old Mac is still breaking records in the Price / Performance curve compared to a say a same cost Mac Mini or most priced MBP but that isn’t a surprise when you have 12 cores compared to 4.

software costs are identical. compare this to that. there is not difference in Adobe software. or Microsoft. Affinity.

support in general for Macs is mostly miss these days. in reading the discussion forum provided by Apple 90% of the posts are “me too, I have that problem. how do you solve it? help me!” it’s maddening. “have you tried zapping the PRAM?” that never works. “did you rebuild the permissions?” that never works. “did you…” Window 10 support seems to be moderated better. last year when upgrading several machines I had one that was stuck. a search revealed my problem without a lengthy “me too…” the post read, “disconnect the second hard drive temporarily. you can use the BIOS or remove it or the cable. and reinstall.” success! which seemed stupid that an installer could not deal. but whatever, I had an answer and a working machine 34 minutes later.

johnfoster    48

batteries are a problem on new Fruit Co products. I replaced a battery in a MacBook Air that was half glued in. if you have a iPad with a dying battery good luck. hopefully you bought AppleCare. but nobody does that for iPads.

johnfoster    48

group writing with Word on Windows works. it just does not work the same way on the Mac version. if I ever have to work with a client who has a document that links into an Excel spreadsheet the only way to work on that is in Windows if the document lives there. otherwise there is a 100% chance that all the links will be broken when the document returns to them.

when there is a properly set up server binding a bunch of Windows machines together on a network that is marvelous as well. Server on a Mac has been ignored for too long. using it always felt like a second step child compared to other Mac software. why is Time Machine to a network drive is a joke to this day? the solution to the suck? putting hard drives on employees desks then reminding them to plug in once in a while to maintain a current image. except those drives ALWAYS got used for everything else. and not used for back ups. 

johnfoster    48

Malware. draconian IT rules about using company computers is a must. such as, "don’t surf PRoN on this machine.” it also means that users are Users not Admins. they cannot add or delete apps in their day to day unless they are a Developer who usually always know better.

as email is the most used vector my company email server is aggressive about SPAM. and my work policies about employees using their address are specific. no, I cannot stop them from doing stupid but I can point to policy when a computer gets PWND. and then say, "told you I did. don't do it again!"

Edited by johnfoster

johnfoster    48

I broke up a very long thread that I wrote to make specific points about Macs being a better ROI not so much. if it is YOUR money to spend then you watch over how and what that money is spent on. I would rather have employees have better a chair, mouse, and keyboards then to spend it on CPUs that they will lose, spill water on, or intentionally break because they want a new box.