Sign in to follow this  
joenspa

Mac Pro 1,1 Hardware Test?

joenspa    26

Long time no see folks. Hope it's still a little active here.

I am working on an old Mac Pro at a recording studio. It's a Mac Pro 1,1 with 10.5.8 on it. I cannot get to a hardware test for it. I looked online and it seems I need a system disc and hold down the D key. I put a 10.5.1 disc in the drive, held down the key and nothing. Just boots as normal. Any ideas?

joenspa    26

Option D didn't do it. Some good info in that GitHub link though. Thanks!

johnfoster    48

what are you wanting the "hardware test" to reveal? maybe you are using it to as a pre-sales tool to verify "all is working." otherwise, if it boots then all is well. and if it does not turn on the problem is likely the power supply.

the 1,1 2006-2007 Mac Pro boxes are very inexpensive to replace via the used market. but even with the hacked EFI loaders the life of decade old mac is waning. granted, a tricked out OCTO will outperform a brand new i7 Mac Mini for half the cost. and you can chose your GPU to make Premiere Pro glow. literally, as the box uses 600W of power!

Edited by johnfoster

joenspa    26

Never could get to hardware test. We were trying to just do a test a an old 1,1 we had bought. It boots and runs so I guess we'll just go with that.

The other options you listed are better choices except for the fact that this is used with an old ProTools audio system. If we changed from the 1,1 model it kicked off about $20,000 of upgrades. We'll just keep our finger crossed.

johnfoster    48
if I was committed to Pro Tools for making money I would get a running rig and then NEVER change or upgrade it. there is not that much advantage in new hardware considering the cost to move to current. the idea is that I want the center of the studio to just work. turn it on, capture audio, mix it, or send the capture to someplace else that needs the file. it does not need to surf the web, it does not need to get an OS update ever again, and who cares if it doesn’t 64 bit.  last I checked audio does not care. and never will. the only thing it has to run is Pro Tools.

I looked on craigslist. there are many 1,1 Mac Pro machines listed selling for a few hundred dollars! run it with a Digi 003 from the same era. although that part of the hardware will cost 4X more. but look what you get compared to other stuff from today for the same money. 

you could watch for deals picking up a spare(s) for the future to keep it running for a decade.