scficz

Upgrading 2011 MacBook Pro

scficz    0

Hello all.

I am planning to upgrade the hard drive on my 2011 MacBook Pro using a 

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-75E500B/AM) and Super Duper to clone my drive.

Has anyone else done this and am I heading in the right direction with this SSD and is it with the investment with such an "old" laptop.

Thank you ahead of time for any help. 

johnfoster    48
Posted (edited)

the steps I always follow are:

put the SSD in a external USB case. it can be a USB3 or USB2 case. it does not matter because the MBP from 2011 only has USB2. get the cheapest case you can find because you will never use it again. or you might if you put the old internal drive in here afterward. I would not. but that is because that drive is very old.

format the SSD with Disk Utility.  then use Carbon Copy Cloner to move the contents of the spinning disk to the SSD. it will take about 3-4 hours to complete. make sure the Energy Saver in System Preferences is set to NEVER sleep so that it will complete the task.

once the copy from there to here is completed check that the SSD will boot using Startup Disk in System Preferences. once you know that it does boot, shut down.

now, on to brian, err brain surgery. follow the guide on iFixit to open the MBP to replace the hard drive. never mind that there are no specific steps for SSD. the steps are the same same. SSD is a hard drive that does not spin.

check all the cables and connections one last time. then close it all up.

boot. bong. start up screen. hurray.

notice how fast it works now. like it is a brand new Mac. wonder why you waited so long to do this…

hurray.

Edited by johnfoster