Huskermn

Bluetooth Problem

Huskermn    33

Well, it's not really a problem because I have figured out what's happening (kinda).  For months now, I've been having occasional problems with both the bluetooth mouse and keyboard on my Mid-2011 iMac.  I knew it wasn't OS related because it happened before I upgraded to Sierra.  Every so often, the keyboard or mouse would stop responding or just get flaky and not work right.  I'd turn them off and reconnect and it MIGHT help.  Eventually I figured out it only happened when I had my iPhone sitting on the desk.  Then, I figured out it REALLY happened when my iPhone was sitting on the desk AND updating apps.  Don't know why it happens but since I can reproduce the problem, I'm pretty convinced I have figured it out.

johnfoster    48

I bet Bluetooth does not work when iThing is playing a video.

Huskermn    33

To quote Ed McMahon - "You are correct, Sir!"  Just played a YouTube video sitting at the machine and bluetooth mouse went wonky until I quit.

johnfoster    48

what Moose and Keyboard do you have? I want to make sure I do not buy that pair.

Edited by johnfoster

Huskermn    33

Actually don't know what model either is.  They're Apple and old. :)

So, do you know why it happens?

johnfoster    48

because bluetooth sucks? ha! actually because BT is low, low power it has a lot of potential issues. you could put samwich wrapped in foil between the computer and it could stop a keyboard from typing.

I had a troubled installation were a big conference room display had an iMac mini hooked up to it. the BT keyboard worked until you got to mid table. then it just wonked. the solution? add a giant antenna to the Mini. this got the range to beyond the other end of the table. then the CEO bitched about not being able to see the display so he bought 7o". what a waste of money that was. 

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201542