Sign in to follow this  
johnfoster

the missing Mac is still missing

where is the Mac that has a slot for an “off the shelf” GPU, RAM slots for 128 gee bees of RAM, and 3.5” drive bays? the Mac that I want is for me, the media professional. I do not care what the case looks like, I do not want it to be small, I want the flexibility where I am not depending on the vendor for specific parts or configurations.

if you open a Dell catalog, yes they are so old school that mailers come once every 6 weeks, you get a sense of what a REAL computer company offers. a solution for every part of my business. on top of that the pricing is such that I never stop to consider something like, “can I build this for less?” then look at HP or Lenovo. all three of these companies are selling solutions across the board from cheap as possible to iron horse to worker bee.

the Mac Mini is a joke at so many levels. one of them is the cooling of that design. the boards are stacked in a way that fan if the fan fails the Mac will stop working. the built in power supply does not help the design either. the inside is very fragile as proven by the 2012 version. removing the hard drive cable or the requirement to disconnect the fan from a tiny connector that can easily break even in the hands of a skilled upgrader means that FruitCo only pretended to make the box upgradable.

had the 2018 Mac returned to a more traditional case cooling would not be such an issue. and there could be more CPU options across the line. and a possibility of a real GPU.

speaking of GPU…why is it that the only Macs that have GPUs are 2X the price? I feel like there is an agenda to push Turdbolt at any cost. with the idea you will bolt on a GPU box when you need the power. or pay extra for a external hard drive because of the Apple Tax.

FruitCo really needs to do customer surveys. or maybe they do and the company just does not care about the creative professional market.

sigh.

Edited by johnfoster