Sign in to follow this  
rob_farrington

iPod Nano Experiences

Hi guys!

This is my first post on the Maccast forum after listening to the podcast for a couple of months now. Just wanted to say not only how quick Apple's delivery has been but also how wicked the iPod Nano is! I ordered one yesterday morning as soon as I got to work and saw on the net how amazing it was (have been away this weekend so didn't get to hear the announcement) and it has just arrived on my desk the next day! I have to say I was astonished with how quick it was considering it took about a month to deliver my iBook.

Anyway, about the iPod - It's amazing! I cannot believe how small it is! I haven't had a chance to have a proper play with it yet but first impressions are definitely good. I showed all the guys at work and they were pretty jealous :D The colour screen is definitely an upgrade for me from my previous Shuffle although I'm sure that I will still get some use from it. Although the Nano is so lightweight that you can easily use it exercising like the Shuffle.

Has anyone else out there got hold of one of these yet or are you still waiting for stocks to come in? :P

From London UK,

Rob

the only thing i am waiting for is stock replenishment. they are all out of 4Gb black in phoenix.

what did you get?

black or white? 2 or 4?

I got the 4Gb black several days ago. This is definitely the best Ipod yet. The sound is great. No delay when skipping to new songs since there is no HD. The screen is excellent. Don't worry about not being able to read the type. I was afraid I might have to use my reading glasses to see the screen well, but no problem whatsoever. Haven't seen the white model, but the black is downright sexy looking. Was a little disappointed Apple didn't include a case with it. So now I'm waiting for all the accessories to finally hit the shelves. Great job Apple! :D

i got my 4GB black on friday and listen to it every day. i really enjoy it, especially the design, but i wish it had some sort of an auotfill feature because i have a fairly large library i dont know what to put on. Besides that i think that its amazing! The sound quality is also excellent and seems better than my previous 3G ipod.

By coincidence, I was in Cupertino on business just a block away from Apple galactic headquarters when my 4GB Black Nano was delivered on Monday this week.

I got home Wednesday evening, and man, what a marvelous feat of engineering! I'm thrilled with this thing.

I just switched to Apple products in May of this year when I received a Mac Mini as a birthday gift. I loved OS X immediately, and soon bought a dual 2GHz Powermac to replace my main PC. Then it was a 60GB iPod Photo, now the Nano. I guess I'm hooked!

By comparison to the iPod Photo, the display on the Nano seems brighter. The response to user input on the Nano is much faster, no doubt because there is no need to wait for a hard drive to spin up.

I've heard comments from some people that they found it hard to operate the smaller Click Wheel, but I found it very easy to adjust to the smaller size.

I'd give the Nano a 10 on a scale of 1-10.

I just read PC Magazine's review, and they loved it, but still noted the absense of the remote control plug saying there would be no remote controlling it. I heard this about the shuffle too, and don't understand why someone would want to remote control something that is only as big as a remote control. Just think of the shuffle and nano as wireless remote controls for invisible iPods. The nano "remote" even has a remote screen! Maybe someone could even hack a nano to remote control a 60GB iPod :-)

Seriously, I thought that the dock connector had the remote control lines built into it since some car stereo adapters can remote control iPods through the dock connector. Does anyone know?

Seriously, I thought that the dock connector had the remote control lines built into it since some car stereo adapters can remote control iPods through the dock connector. Does anyone know?

I think the reason the nano is missing some capabilities that larger ipods have is strictly because of its size. I'd bet there just wasn't enough room to add all the support chips for these functions. Perhaps Apple will design a small custom chip to handle all these things in the next version, but who knows?

one thing i think that can be improved on iPods is the transfer speed of the ipod(in FAT32) to a mac. it is so slow......... I'm using a 4 gig black nano with a 15inch powerbook(1.5Ghz Combo) and a P4 1.7 Ghz winxp sp2. Intially wanted to use the nano as a hard drive between my mac and pc, but the slow speed ultimately made me change the format from FAT32 to Mac OS Extended Journaled...

I hate Apple for making me desire then nano when I don't need it.

isn't that the case with all mac stuff? i know i could waste away thousands of dollars at the apple store.

I hate Apple for making me desire then nano when I don't need it.

isn't that the case with all mac stuff? i know i could waste away thousands of dollars at the apple store.

only thousands??? lol

isn't that the case with all mac stuff?  i know i could waste away thousands of dollars at the apple store.

But it's really not a waste!