Sign in to follow this  
whetzel

trouble upgrading firmware

After upgrading to iTunes 5 I started receiving a message saying some tracks couldn't be copied to my 3G iPod because the iPod software was too old every time I sync'd. Checking around I found that I was running firmware version 2.2 and that version 2.3 was available. So I downloaded the iPod Updater and installed it, expecting the firmware to get updated the next time I connected my iPod. No luck. I've tried reinstalling the updater, redownloading and reinstalling the updater, rebooting my machine, yet still I have version 2.2 of the firmware on my iPod and cannot get some songs transferred to my iPod. Of note, newly purchased music from the iTMS will not transfer.

I am now at a loss for ideas. Anyone have some wisdom they'd like to share on this?

Thanks

You have to run the updater with the iPod plugged in. When the iPod shows Do Not Disconnect, run the Firmware Updater. You will be presented with 2 buttons Restore and Update..choose Update and it should work.

Else try, reseting the iPod manually then try running the firmware updatter. To manually reset your iPod ..lock then unlock ur iPod by moving the switch at the top of the iPod. After that hold Menu and Play until you see the Apple logo on the screen.

Thanks for the response, but I'm still not having any luck. I tried installing the update while the iPod was attached, then unmounted and redocked. Still got the "too old" message. Still on version 2.2. So I reset the iPod as instructed, connected it and installed the update again. By the way, I don't get Restore and Update buttons, only a Customize button, Go Back and Upgrade.

When none of that worked I disabled disk mode and then connected it again. Still no luck.

I'm running OS X 10.3.9, if that matters at all.

You might want to try starting your iPod from brand new... You can use iPod Software to Restore, but since it sounds like that is being flakey on you, I would use Disk Utility to completely erase the iPod. Then run the iPod Software, and it should detect the iPod with no firmware on it. This would, hopefully, get rid of all traces of 2.2 and you would be okay. If you decide to do this, be cautious, and good luck...

OK, I come grovelling in shame with my tail firmly between my legs.

It dawned on me earlier today, "hey, wasn't there a specific app for updating my iPod?" For some reason I had gotten it in my head that iTunes automatically took care of the updates. So I found the updater application, and ran it. In short, it worked almost fine. I did have a problem with the iPod not being able to reboot after the update, but Restoring my iPod did the trick.

Thank you for trying to help me, I apologize for subjecting you to my brain fart.

is there a way to downgrade your firmware to 2005-03-23 kos i want to install linux on it. Where can you get it?