Sign in to follow this  
coldstream1

iTunes as slow as molasses

As my library has grows iTunes is getting increasingly more difficult to use. It is not uncommon to wait 30 seconds or more as the beach ball spins when trying to do the most basic tasks such as open the get info window on a track, or even just switch from a playlist view back to the library view.

I guess my library might be larger than the average user (24000 songs, 109 GB) but it is starting to get ridiculous. Interestingly enough, playback of music never seems to be affected, but the app itself often seems like it has frozen up, only to come back to life after long, long waits. Since I continue to buy CDs at a steady pace, I'm really starting to worry about iTunes ability to keep up.

Is there anything I can do to optimize my library? or speed up performance? I have a brand new Powerbook with 2GB of RAM, so I don't think my system is the issue. In case it makes a difference, I should also note that my library is housed on its own USB 2.0 external drive with plenty of free space. Appreciate any help or advice!

I really have no idea what you can do, I think its just the program, thats one mighty fine music collection I must say but I just don't think itunes was built to store that amount of music. I can suggest mabe dividing your library into two and alternate, but that seems fiddly.

Just to note this program might help, http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/13728 people with the same issue have commented saying it worked well (I personally haven't tried it).

Sorry I wasnt much help but check out the link.

It's either one of two things, or a combination of the two -- the size of the library and the external drive. And there's no way to store that internally on a PowerBook even if it had a 100 GB drive, so I'm not sure what to do, other than give up about 20000 songs ;)

But seriously, is there anything you can do to pare down the library to a more modest size? Granted that's not an ideal solution, but may be one with considering.

You mention that all the music is being stored on the USB 2.0 drive... maybe iTunes is having speed issues with all of the information on the USB drive, because it's a slow connection. If you try mTorbin's Unofficial Space Saver Method, I'm pretty sure the data files that store all of the iTunes information on your internal HD and the actual MP3 files on the USB drive. This way, when you're getting info, or something like that, instead of iTunes accessing and reading from the external drive, it's doing it internally, which might speed things up a little. Just a thought...

Red, I think your suggestion should do the trick... great thinking. Man you're on fire lately!

I guess I should have made my setup it a little more clear in my original post. My "iTunes Music" folder is on the USB 2.0 drive, but the iTunes Library file and iTunes Library.xml file still reside on my main hard drive inside my user folder.

So that is not the problem.

I really don't think the USB drive is the issue either. My library used to live on an external Firewire drive (until I out grew it!), and the performance also suffered on that volume as the library got bigger. Anyway, for an application like this, performance differences between USB 2.0 and Firewire should be negligible.

That said, I think I might have isolated the culprit: smart playlists. I severely cut back on the number of auto-updating smart playlists I had running, and things have gotten slightly better. I guess any change made to the library required the app to run an update routine that ground things to a screaming halt.

This episode has raised a red flag for me on iTunes though. It seems to have some real scalability issues, and I'm afraid I may have hit a wall as far as library size goes. And I haven't even finished ripping my CDs yet! Perhaps in forthcoming updates Apple could focus on usability and less on feature bloat.

I know iPhoto definitely has some scalability issues... so I wouldn't be shocked if iTunes did too.

I know iPhoto definitely has some scalability issues... so I wouldn't be shocked if iTunes did too.

Yeah, this is unfortunate, but I've noticed it in iPhoto too.

Oh, and thanks adam. I just had my wisdom teeth out yesterday, so maybe that has something to do with it? Well, considering last time I posted all that good info, I was half asleep due to the drugs....

Well, considering last time I posted all that good info, I was half asleep due to the drugs....

Hahahahaha. Cool.

Well, considering last time I posted all that good info, I was half asleep due to the drugs....

Hahahahaha. Cool.

gotta love the Percocet...