Sign in to follow this  
Rob

Windows XP drive on a Mac

Hey,

I'm trying to exchange some files with a friend of mine. He uses Windows XP, and I use OS X.4.

My friend lent me his USB 2.0 250GB hard drive which I believe is FAT 32. When I attach it to my Powerbook, I only have reading privileges. I've looked in several places to try to change the privileges but haven't figured it out.

My friend has no idea why attaching the drive to my machine would cause this problem. He's used it on a couple of different Windows machines without problems.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I've got about 20gb of data to move and going from my computer to his drive is the easiest method.

Thanks.

-Rob

If your friends external hard drive is actually formatted NTFS, that would explain why OS X is mounting it read-only.

What does the OS X Disk Drive utility say about this drive when you mount it?

What does the OS X Disk Drive utility say about this drive when you mount it?

I had to give the drive back and didn't check the formatting type. I simply read the "Read Only" tag. I'll take a look at it next week to see the exact format type.

A 250 Gig Drive most likely be NTFS formatted. As it is right now I believe Tiger only has read support for NTFS, the write support is kinda iffy.

Thanks, folks.

The information helps relieve my confusion.

-Rob

The drive is guarenteed to be NTFS, FAT32 doesn't support a drive that large

According to Microsoft:

In theory, FAT32 volumes can be about 8 terabytes; however, the maximum FAT32 volume size that Windows XP Professional can format is 32 GB. Therefore, you must use NTFS to format volumes larger than 32 GB. However, Windows XP Professional can read and write to larger FAT32 volumes formatted by other operating systems.

Therefore it *could* be a FAT32 drive if it was not formatted using Microsoft's own format routines. It certainly would be unwise to format a drive that large into a single FAT32 partition, but it is possible.

I have a 200gb external usb2/firewire HD.

Is it possible to create a bootable partition formatted osx extended, and an additional partition formatted fat32 on the external HD?

I understand fat32 files are read/write with both xp and osx. However fat32 is *not* osx bootable.

I've tried but so far no luck.

I have a 200gb external usb2/firewire HD.  

Is it possible to create a bootable partition formatted osx extended, and an additional partition formatted fat32 on the external HD?

I understand fat32 files are read/write with both xp and osx.  However fat32 is *not* osx bootable.

I've tried but so far no luck.

Check out this link: http://macosxhints.com/article.php?story=2...030613121738812

Hope it helps you.