Sign in to follow this  
Steamboatwillie

Podcasts & Smartplaylists in iTunes 5

Is anyone having the following problems? I have podcast syncing turned off on my iPod. I have a smartplaylist in iTunes that looks for all podcasts with a playcount of zero. When I sync the smartplaylist to my iPod the files do not copy over even though the playlist does (basically it's empty on my iPod) If I go ahead and set podcasts to sync to my iPod (in this case all podcasts) then the smart playlist works on the iPod. Is this an expected behavior?

I think you answered you own question. If you have podcasts set not to sync, why would you expect them to appear on the smart playlist?

Unless maybe if you're asking why the playlist copies over... the answer to that is iTunes syncs all your playlists to the iPod, regardless of whether the iPod contains the files to populate them.

I think you answered you own question.  If you have podcasts set not to sync, why would you expect them to appear on the smart playlist?

Unless maybe if you're asking why the playlist copies over... the answer to that is iTunes syncs all your playlists to the iPod, regardless of whether the iPod contains the files to populate them.

Let's forget about the native podcast syncing for a moment. The podcasts appear in my library. The smartplaylist is populated from my library. When the smartplaylist attempts to sync, because it is selected as a playlist to sync on my iPods options via iTunes, it does not copy over the podcasts. If I create a smartplaylist of music, and add that to the list of playlists to sync with my iPod, the music gets copied over. This is not the case if I do the same thing with podcasts. It seems that the smartplaylist, and it's paremeters, copy to the iPod but unless the actual podcast already exist on the iPod (via native podcast syncing) they do not show up. I hope that better explains what I am seeing. Thanks for the quick reply!

You have configured iTunes to not sync podcasts.

Because you have configured iTunes to not sync podcasts, iTunes does not sync podcasts.

If you want to sync podcasts, do not configure iTunes to not sync podcasts.

I kinda see what you're saying, Steamboatwillie, but I think the others are right. The podcast preferences override the smart playlist preferences, and so that's why they are not showing up.

In order to achieve the effect you are trying to get, there is a setting in iTunes that is "Only Sync Unplayed Podcasts". Then, just create a smart playlists for all podcasts on the iPod, and it should accomplish what you're trying to do. Once you play the podcast, and sync your computer again, it is removed from your iPod.

It seems like you've come across a contradiction in the way iTunes handles Podcasts -- you can tell it to only sync the desired playlists, but podcasts are handled seperately than normal music files. With that in mind I think red's suggestion is probably the best.

It seems like you've come across a contradiction in the way iTunes handles Podcasts -- you can tell it to only sync the desired playlists, but podcasts are handled seperately than normal music files.  With that in mind I think red's suggestion is probably the best.

Well, I agree sort of. The problem is that if you start to play a podcast, and not finish listening to the whole podcast, it gets marked as played. If I re-sync my iPod and have only listened half way through a podcast wouldn't it be dropped out of the list?

Well, I agree sort of. The problem is that if you start to play a podcast, and not finish listening to the whole podcast, it gets marked as played. If I re-sync my iPod and have only listened half way through a podcast wouldn't it be dropped out of the list?

Yup, this is true. I never got why Apple did this. All other songs only increase the play count when you listen to the entire thing, so why not podcasts? However, sometimes I do find this as handy. For example, I usually do not listen to the music at the end of the MacCast. However, if Apple managed podcasts the same way as other songs, after I was done with the MacCast, and I skipped the music, it would still be marked as unplayed. I don't know which method I would rather have...

Yup, this is true. I never got why Apple did this. All other songs only increase the play count when you listen to the entire thing, so why not podcasts? However, sometimes I do find this as handy. For example, I usually do not listen to the music at the end of the MacCast. However, if Apple managed podcasts the same way as other songs, after I was done with the MacCast, and I skipped the music, it would still be marked as unplayed. I don't know which method I would rather have...

Until, if ever, this changes I am going to simply sync all poscasts and use my smartplaylist to manage what I have listened to. I also wish iTunes gave the option to convert the podcasts into bookmarkable AAC. I would think it would be an easy feature to implement. They do something similar with iPod Shuffles, giving the ability to convert high bit rate songs to smaller AAC files.

Thanks for all of your replies everyone! Maccast and it's community Rules!

I'd like if there were a methed where you could say in the preferences "If I listen to a track for X amount of seconds, mark it as played"... and that would work the same for podcasts and music. Often I'll listen to 90% of a song, but it doesn't up the playcount cause I skip ahead or something.

I'd like if there were a methed where you could say in the preferences "If I listen to a track for X amount of seconds, mark it as played"... and that would work the same for podcasts and music.  Often I'll listen to 90% of a song, but it doesn't up the playcount cause I skip ahead or something.

That's a good idea. I like it!