Sign in to follow this  
sixteenvalver

Shared drive on Windows box woes...

Hi all,

Hope someone can shed some light on a problem I seem to be experiencing. I recently switched from a Windows P4 to a G5 Dual 2.5 (nice) and I need to connect to my shared network folder on my Windows box. I can do this fine, but I have to manually do it each time I start up the Mac. On Windows I could auto-connect to network shares each time I booted up - is there a way to do this in 10.4.2?

Thanks in advance.

Phill.

one goofy work around for this is to put itunes in your system preferences/user accounts/user/Login Items and keep your library on the pc.

another goofy trick is to write an automator script and drop in your system preferences/user accounts/user/Login Items.

There is also a little application called automount that you will have to do a Google search for, as i'm not going to give advice about something I haven't tested.

But, what you really want to know is how to map a network drive and have it connect on startup. This is how its done.

1. Connect to the shared volume. Locate said volume's icon on your desktop.

2. Open your system preferences. Click on Accounts. Click on YOUR ACCOUNT in the left column. Click on Login Items on the top. Drag the shared volume's icon from your desktop into the list under Login Items.

3. Profit.

Steps were done mounting a SMB/CIFS windows XP SATA drive via OS 10.4.2 both wireless and wired.

1. Connect to the shared volume.  Locate said volume's icon on your desktop.

2. Open you system preferences. Click on Accounts. Click on YOUR ACCOUNT in the   left column. Click on Login Items on the top. Drag the shared volume's icon from your desktop into the list under Login Items.  

3. Profit.  

That is one sweet tip man, very nice! Thanks!