Sign in to follow this  
Astrobutch

AIM?ICQ?MSN? AAAAAAAAAAGH!

OK, so here's the deal, I am a self confessed Mac geek, I can even say peeceee without out breaking out in a sweat. However many of my buddies are peeeceee nerds. The biggest problem I have is when I need to video conference with these guys. I have skype/msn/ichat, none of which support cameras except ichat which cannot be used on a peeeeceeeee! Where do I go? I'm a bit of a newbie to the world of video conference so any help would be cool....

Thanks muchly

Butch :wink:

I may be wrong, but I'm sure you can use the video chat functionality in iChat with "peecee" users, if they are using AIM chat client. Other than that, I'm not too sure, so I will hand you over to someone with vastly more knowledge on the subject than I. Cheers.

Thanks Lee, I'm still a bit green as to what AIM is? Is that a protocol? Does MSN support AIM? It's all a bit confusing, I'm messaging them OK but no video conferencing ability,

Butch

I believe that AIM (AOL Instant Messenger) is a protocol, but I am pretty sure that MSN client does not support it. The other users will have to download the AIM client software from AOL, and install it on their PCs and then actually log onto the AIM server. You can then also log onto the AIM server using iChat, and from what I believe (never tried any of this), you can then use the video functionality in iChat for you, and they can use the video in AIM client for them. Sorry I can't be of any further help Butch, but I only really use Skype these days for IM and VoIP. I don't really have the need for video. I am definitely sure that you won't be able to use video if you are using MSN client on Mac. The Windows client MSN version supports video, but not the Mac client. I'm not sure if there are any Mac MSN clients (aMSN, Adium, etc) that do support video yet either. You may find some more info if you search this site for such subjects as "video chat", "video conferencing", etc. I'm sure I have glanced over threads with a similar topic in the past. Cheers.

Why don't you try trillian. It allows you to do AIM, MSN, ICQ, Yahoo, and IRC all in one program with video and audio. I hope this helps.

Trillian only on Peeeceees, bummer! Looked quite cool. Reckon I'll have to hang out for Skype to release video conferencing....