Sign in to follow this  
kwsanders

ThinkFree Office

kwsanders    0

I just came across this new office suite the other day and I had time to install it tonight. It comes in a Mac and Windows version. I pulled up some files that did not look exactly right in NeoOffice/J on the Mac and they look great in ThinkFree Office.

http://www.thinkfree.com/

podfeet    0

this is pretty cool! I'm an advanced Excel user, and I found a few things it can't do (like pivot tables) but it seems to have most everything else. I wonder how soon they'll be sued for copying the exact menu structure? I'm only using the web version so far, btw. I did find a place where a carriage return should have selected "OK" but it just kept toggling between menus (in formatting, setting a texture or a shading on a graph), but that's sure a minor effect.

very interesting, thanks for posting.

jasonium    0

I"ll bet you google buys these guys out, along with OpenOffice.

Thanks for the great tip kwsanders.

Has anybody heard of apple releasing something similar to Excel, to compliment Pages in the iWork suite?

podfeet    0

well, Apple DID get the copyright on the name "Numbers"

kwsanders    0

But Google did not buy anyone. They announced a collaboration between themselves and Sun. Both companies will be working together to produce software and components to rival Microsoft's dominance.

jasonium    0

The move could lead to Google offering next-generation word processing, spreadsheet and collaboration tools that would take on Microsoft's industry-leading Office suite of software

granted they didn't directly buy them, but this is pretty much as close as you can get to it.

Allizard    0

That's good news!! I love a good competition. Office is getting way too fat!!

kwsanders    0

Google is starting to remind me of some of these fast-food restaurants who cannot figure out what they want to get into and end up putting 500 items on the menu, never being great at any of them. :(

jasonium    0
Google is starting to remind me of some of these fast-food restaurants who cannot figure out what they want to get into and end up putting 500 items on the menu, never being great at any of them.  :(

Thats a great analogy. Kind of like Sonic, they keep adding things to their menu, when in fact they just pile Fritos on anything and everything.

I'm having a tough time finding anything that Google is currently engaged in that they aren't doing well at. Google Maps is great, Gmail is great, and so is Picasa2, for that matter.

Though I welcome samples of what you all feel is subpar to support the Jack of all Trades, Master of None theory.

jasonium    0
Though I welcome samples of what you all feel is subpar to support the Jack of all Trade

how about google earth for mac.

Though I welcome samples of what you all feel is subpar to support the Jack of all Trade

how about google earth for mac.

Being that both the Mac and Windows versions are in Beta, I can't say I'd count this application as a shortcoming. A good example though, if they don't iron out the connectivity bugs, and how it miraculously interferes with Windows wireless networking.

Perhaps I should also add that I am currently a Windows user, though looking to purchase a Mac soon. So I can't really speak to Mac shortcomings.

jasonium    0

i use both OS's actively and encourage you to try out OSX - its super easy to switch/compliment windows.

Google Earth is an awesome program, one of the coolest i've used in years, but it needs some serious work, all they did was buy out Keyhole and slap their own name on it.I make presentations for work in just a few minutes and am always asked "how did you do that?" People are shocked that its free, its just the plugins needed for high res images and animation recording, vector mapping, and GIS are addidional.

Google Earth does not support macintosh FYI, from their site:

Do you support Macintosh?

At this time, Google Earth supports Windows only; however, we hope to support Mac and Linux OS soon. In the meantime, although it might be slower, some Mac users have had success running Google Earth with a PC emulator.

Minimum configuration:

Operating system: Windows 2000, Windows XP

CPU speed: Intel® Pentium® PIII 500 MHz

System memory (RAM): 128MB

200MB hard-disk space

3D graphics card: 3D-capable video card with 16MB VRAM

1024x768, 32-bit true color screen

Network speed: 128 kbps ("Broadband/Cable Internet")

Recommended configuration:

Operating system: Windows XP

CPU speed: Intel® Pentium® P4 2.4GHz+ or AMD 2400xp+

System memory (RAM): 512MB

2GB hard-disk space

3D graphics card: 3D-capable video card with 32MB VRAM or greater

1280x1024, 32-bit true color screen

Network speed: 128 kbps ("Broadband/Cable Internet")

kwsanders    0
I'm having a tough time finding anything that Google is currently engaged in that they aren't doing well at.

Sorry, I did not exactly mean that they are not doing great at everything right now, but they are currently moving into all realms of things beyond what they do very well (searching the internet). They are partnering with Sun to do software. They are talking about putting in a wireless network in San Francisco (city-wide). They have a lot of irons in the fire and I am afraid that they are going to get burned.