Sign in to follow this  
eXtreme

iBook or PowerBook

I am thinking about getting a new job, The job that i am going for is a Web Developer. I don't exactly know what it involves yet (and yes i know it means i make websites). Anyway this company i presume will be using Windows PC's which i can use and use well but i really prefer using Mac's.

So, I was thinking about getting a Apple Laptop but not really sure which 1 to get. I know that there is more power in the PowerBook (hence the name) but wold i really need all that power as from what i understand i will just be running Dreamweaver and problerbly a few other programs. I don't have a huge budget but if a PowerBook is best then i will have to save. The other thing is that i don't want a 12" model i really want a 15" really. Would love the 17" but would be to to big to carry around. It also needs to have AirPort Express so i can network it with my Mac Mini

I would most definantly go with a PowerBook. And, while you are saving for it I would go for the 17 in model. I am trying to break out in some web development and other programming areas and the best advice I have been given thus far by those who already are good in these areas is "The more screen real estate the better!"

Plus, if you are doing anything serious the extra horsepower always helps!

I've been running Dreamweaver on my 15' powerbook for over a year, and loving it. Go powerbook!!

My mom got the 15" PowerBook (I don't know why) but it is the god of all laptops. it has everything you"re looking for.

my ibook works great for what i do(school junk, research, music, etc.) but for anything more intense, get a powerbook. my sister and brother in law are visual effects producers and just got new powerbooks for the next movie and they are amazing. head and shoulders above the one they bought for the last movie.

Thanx for the help. If i do decide to get one i will get a PowerBook i would love the 17" model but that is a hell of alot of money for a 20 yr old. maybe the 15 would do but we will have to see what happens with the job first

The 17 is awesome but could be bothersome hauling the behemoth around.

I do some web development on my powerbook, although not quite on your level, Mozilla composer and Smultron are about as far as it goes :lol:

Point being, the extra screen space alone on my powerbook over my old 15in iMac is a great help, in photoshop you can have some toolbars here and there and still have a 4:3 work area in the middle, something i find very useful

Also the powerbook has a DVI connector, so connecting to a large screen becomes very easy 8)

IMO, if all you wanted was to view photos, make some basic movies then an ibook would do the trick, anything more, and a powerbook can't be beat :D

Here's another thought. Get a 12" Powerbook, 1gb of ram and an external monitor. I think you would wind up with much more for your money especially if the new employer would supply the monitor. I use Dreamweaver all day long on 2 17" Studio Displays (1280 x 1024) and still wish I had more screen real estate! The 12" Powerbook would give you decent power, be easy to carry to and from work and costs less than a 15" (which I have and love) Just a thought.