Sign in to follow this  
old pal

Perfect iPod -Killed!

This is just my opinion, but I think that Apple killed the perfect iPod -- the iPod Mini 6GB

Size - small, light-weight easy to carry

Capacity - can hold lots of music, podcasts and audiobooks (So simple to load using iTunes and why would anyone want to carry around every piece of music that they own?)

Style - beautifully designed (all iPods are for that matter), but Mini is set apart from others with the color-anodized case that wraps completely around, integrating both the front and back

Scratch Resistant - hard anodized metal case not poly-carbonate

Any thoughts on this?

I agree to the point of the fact that the Mini was FireWire capable. Some of the older computers (I have the last generation of the Ti PowerBook 1ghz 15 inch) did not support USB 2.0 so if I were to buy a Nano (I would really like to) I would either have to upgrade my workstation too or just settle for the 12 mb per second transfer rate! (I would rather wait for hell to freeze over!

I think that Apple should have kept the iPod Mini available but just trim down the selection or something. Gently move people from the Mini to the Nano rather than just shoving it at them!

WHOA WHOA WHOA! Wait the Nano just came out! Who is to say that were not going to see 6GB Nano or even 8GB! I'm sure if alot of people complain then we'll get more colors. Ultimately Apple has to see what sold the most and go from there. Apple upddates there stuff CONSTANTLY and change for the consumer.

WHOA WHOA WHOA! Wait the Nano just came out! Who is to say that were not going to see 6GB Nano or even 8GB! I'm sure if alot of people complain then we'll get more colors. Ultimately Apple has to see what sold the most and go from there. Apple upddates there stuff CONSTANTLY and change for the consumer.

I know that the nano just came out, that's why I did the post. As I said, "It's just my opinion", but the nano is not an improvement. And upon introduction, way more Minis were sold than nanos.

I don't feel that right at the moment size is a HUGE issue. Technology is already talking about 16 and 32 gigabyte flash media so I don't think that it will be too long before we see larger capacity Nanos. I just think that they should have made them a little bit more scratch resistant and made them, as I said before, FireWire capable.

I know Apple does watch their forums and they try to be on top of their customers complaints and feature requests. I think that we should maybe try getting something started in Apple's forums to see what happens!

Plus, who knows what all they have planned for the October 12th thing. They could release a "revised" nano with fixes for some of the problem that we see today. I think that would just be really nice if Apple jumped right on the Nano's problems since they are trying to make it replace their most popular iPod model, the Mini.

As I said, "It's just my opinion", but the nano is not an improvement. And upon introduction, way more Minis were sold than nanos.

Well, I do think the nano is an improvement. I much prefer the sleeker look, the color screen, and the change to flash RAM. I never wanted a mini, but I did buy a nano. That's also just my opinion.

As far as how many were sold, we don't have that info yet. But I'll bet the nano has easily outsold the mini in its first month.

I know that the nano just came out, that's why I did the post. As I said, "It's just my opinion", but the nano is not an improvement. And upon introduction, way more Minis were sold than nanos.

Perhaps less nano's sold because everyone has a mini already? :wink:

Just my opinion... the nano rocks, even if it scratches. 8)

Apple said that iPods captured 75 percent of MP3 player sales in August. Apple sold 6,451,000 iPods during the quarter, and an impressive 1 million iPod nanos in 17 days. The quarter marked the tenth sequential quarter of iPod sales growth. Apple characterized demand for the Nano as "staggering" and said iPod sales "accelerated significantly" after the release of the new device. Apple "fell short of demand and ended with an enormeous backlog" of iPod nano orders. Backlog issues are a result of a component constraint, not manufacturing, the company said.

This quote is from the Apple Conference. So, they sold 1 million nanos in 17 days. I don't know what the figures were for the mini, but I highly doubt it was that many so quickly.

I 100% agree. It would have been even more perfect if they would have just given the mini a color screen.

But if Apple stuck with the mini, they'd be technologically passed up by other companies. They could have released a ipod with a mini look, but built more like the nano.

Similar to this from Applele.com

pict05_ipod_r01a.jpg

This is just my opinion, but I think that Apple killed the perfect iPod -- the iPod Mini 6GB

I was talking about the mini. It would have been more perfect if it would hav had a color screen.

Oh, I see. But you replied just after my post, which was in favor of the nano. So in that context, it didn't make sense. Also, the first time I looked at your post, the image didn't show up. That's a nice looking mini though. The more square shape with only slightly rounded edges looks much better than the way the real mini is.

Don't understand your post. The nano does have a color screen.

It is just too small, though. I love the size of my iPod mini, but it would be better if it had a color screen.

I would never do this, but it would be cool if someone found a way to take the color screen off a digital camera and install it into the mini. Assuming it had the same size screen.

I believe that the nano needs to have more capasity, but they are still really cool

I believe that the nano needs to have more capasity, but they are still really cool

give it time young jedi. your request will come to fruition soon. its not if apple makes them bigger, its how much bigger and how soon.

See, I'm not the only guy that thinks that the Mini is a great performing and great looking iPod.

why would anyone want to carry around every piece of music that they own?)

hard anodized metal case not poly-carbonate

It's a difference of usage. I like my iPod having everything, plain and simple.

Mini's case IS better.

pict05_ipod_r01a.jpg

looks like Dell DJ

Where did you get this?

Size - small, light-weight easy to carry

Capacity - can hold lots of music, podcasts and audiobooks (So simple to load using iTunes and why would anyone want to carry around every piece of music that they own?)

Style - beautifully designed (all iPods are for that matter), but Mini is set apart from others with the color-anodized case that wraps completely around, integrating both the front and back

Scratch Resistant - hard anodized metal case not poly-carbonate

Any thoughts on this?

It also supported firewire.