Sign in to follow this  
inis

Still no seamless playback?

I did a search, so sorry if this has already been discussed, but i am very upset that we dont have seamless playback on iPods yet. Any of you who own CD's (usually electronic DJ set CD's) that have no gaps between the songs know what im talking about. When you are listening back, you have to wait for a second or two for the next song to kick in. Totally fucks up your groove.

Obviously you have always been able to burn CD's in iTunes with seamless, but never on the pod itself. I always figured maybe it was a ram type thing. That maybe a player (like on a computer) would need to load the next song into ram or something so that it would kick in right when the previous song finishes.

Well, i just got my nano the other day and realized im still waiting. I figured if this was a ram type problem, it would be extremely easy to solve with flash based memory vs. HD. Obviously i was wrong, or apple doesnt care.

Anyone have any info on why, when, etc? Adam, anything?

peace

if you change your preferances to a minimal gap between songs, it isn't that bad.

i disagree, but its probably just a personal preference thing. im sure anyone thats a DJ or even other musicians will notice it more than anyone. It werid when you are listening to something in time and then just have it stop all of a sudden.

All im sayin is there hundreds of playback devices in the word that do it just fine. i could see why it would be difficult in the past, but now with flash based pods, i think there is no excuse. This isnt rocket science. this could be done very easily.

I thought there was that setting in iTunes where you can do that or is it one second?

I don't really visit iTunes much. :(

I've always heard that it was a limitation of the MP3 format itself. Don't know about AAC.

One way around it is use "Join CD tracks" from iTunes's Advanced menu when ripping the CD. Then the entire CD is one track.

Another genre where the break is disturbing is classical music, where CDs usually have track breaks between movements but the actual transition is often quite subtle. I find this plays acceptably in iTunes itself, but suffers a noticeable break on the iPod. I used to think this was because it was necessary to spin up the iPod's hard disk between tracks; I don't know if the flash-based iPods have the same annoying behavior.

One way around it is use "Join CD tracks" from iTunes's Advanced menu when ripping the CD.  Then the entire CD is one track.  

Another genre where the break is disturbing is classical music, where CDs usually have track breaks between movements but the actual transition is often quite subtle.  I find this plays acceptably in iTunes itself, but suffers a noticeable break on the iPod. I used to think this was because it was necessary to spin up the iPod's hard disk between tracks; I don't know if the flash-based iPods have the same annoying behavior.

Ya, this is true, although then you have to scan for your favorite song. And i dont think its any kind of format limiation, because iTunes can do seamless playback, just not iPods.

lol, and if i had any clue of how to design something like that i would. in the meantime, ill just throw out the suggestion.

One way around it is use "Join CD tracks" from iTunes's Advanced menu when ripping the CD.  Then the entire CD is one track.

Ya, this is true, although then you have to scan for your favorite song.

I suppose you could add bookmarks to the joined track at song boundaries... if you really really wanted it.

Or, maybe rip the CD twice, once joined and once individualized.

my point is the joined is useless playing from a computer or iPod, either way im scanning through over an hour of music to find a song i like. I do this already with mixtapes i download from other sites for free, but when i spend the money on a CD without gaps, i want to listen to it easily, without gaps.