Sign in to follow this  
jasonventresca

How to delete from behind text : fn + Delete

i am a new mac user moving over from the PC, and was baffled as to how to delete text from behind.

on PC keyboards, there is a BACKSPACE and a DELETE key, one deleting text forward and the other backward. i was fooling around with keyboard shortcuts on my new mac and figured out that you can delete from behind text using fn + Delete

most of you probably know this already but i thought maybe a few of you would benefit from this tip

You mean Option+Backspace, right? :)

EDIT: You are probably talking about on an iBook, right? On the PowerMac, it is Option+Backspace to delete the text behind the cursor back to the previous space.

Option-Delete on my PowerBook deletes the word to the left of the cursor, didn't know that until I just tried. fn-Delete does the character to the right of the cursor on the PB.

roog

Ok, I'm still confused. I'm using a dinky M2452 keyboard with my mini, and I've tried every key combination I can think of but haven't found a way to delete text in front of my cursor. Can anyone help? This is driving me crazy.

Ok, I'm still confused. I'm using a dinky M2452 keyboard with my mini, and I've tried every key combination I can think of but haven't found a way to delete text in front of my cursor. Can anyone help? This is driving me crazy.

There is a program called DoubleCommand. Quoting from their home page:

DoubleCommand is software for Mac OS X (a kernel extension) that lets you remap keys, in other words change the way your keyboard works. Often used to make a PC keyboard more comfortable with a Mac, swapping the Alt (Option) and Windows (Command or Apple) keys, since they are in swapped positions on Mac and PC keyboards. DoubleCommand is a quick and easy way to fix this if you use a PC keyboard with your Mac. Called DoubleCommand because originally it was used to give the old PowerBooks a second Command key, where there was an enter key. For the full feature listing look at the install page.

http://doublecommand.sourceforge.net/

My powermac standard keyboard has two delete keys. One above the backslash that deletes chars behint the cursor. The other one under help/ above the arrow keys deletes the chars ahead of the cursor.