Sign in to follow this  
korteenea

iPod and humidity...

I recently took a day trip to NYC and took my iPod along for the ride to listen to music on the bus. When I arrived in NYC, I placed my iPod in my backpack and began my day. But then rain began falling heavily, and the ambient humidity shot up drastically. I decided against using the iPod and kept it safely in my backpack. Later in the day when I returned to the bus, I opened my backpack to discover my iPod's screen filled with thousands of tiny little water droplets. I decided immediately not to do anything with it until getting home just to be safe, and once home I discovered that the iPod still had droplets in the screen, and would not even turn on (even after reseting it.)

My question is, would this be considered accidental damage? I did not drop the iPod into a pool or puddle... it was merely sitting in my backpack and was invaded by the humidity, which has seemed to have condensed and taken up residence in my iPod. Now, I'm not sure... but aren't iPods supposed to be able to handle some humidity? Something like 95%? The iPod is only a little more than 3 months old, and I'm hoping that this is covered by warranty. Can anyone advise?

Thanks!

-Lauren

I know the weather specifications are somewhere on the Apple site because I've seen them there before. I think that would be covered by Apple because they cant expect people to carry a weather gauge with them all the time. Since the whole screen isnt floating in water, it's obvious that it didn't fall into a pool. If they don't, you could try and dry them out by blowing it with a hairdrier. Or putting it in an oven for 20 minutes. :lol:

WAIT DONT TURN IT ON.... leave it to dry for 2-3 days.... this happened to me.... knowing that the water will evaporate and the electronics will dry... as long as you dont try to turn it on it wont short out

Thanks so much for the replies! I'm so unsure as to what to do and it's nice to know I can get some suggestions!

The screen just has a ton of condensation in it.. no water floating around, so that's good I suppose. I've got the iPod sitting on top of my monitor at home, which radiates a nice warm temperature... hopefully that'll speed it up a bit without being as hot as a hairdrier. The condensation is already starting to dissipate, but it could just be re-evaporating and not really escaping the iPod. I'm considering buying a small closet de-humidifier and putting it in a big tupperware bin with the iPod for an hour or so and seeing if it draws out the moisture. Hopefully I can dry it out enough to be able to get files off of it, and then if it still doesn't work correctly I'll take it to the Apple store and see if they'll replace it.

There are some fairly gentle ways you can encourage the moisture to leave your iPod. If the weather is sunny and you have a window sun shines through, you could put the iPod on the inside windowsill and let the sunshine warm it up.

If that is not an option you could take a desklamp with an incandescent bulb, and lean it over the iPod so that it is only a few inches away.

When you are sure it is dry, keep drying it for one more day.

The less you try to use it while it still might be wet inside, the better your chances of having it survive.

Since it was just water and not soda or juice, you have a good chance it will return to normal.

That's good to hear! I've had it sitting on top of my monitor since early this morning, and the condensation has seemed to have disappeared from the screen. I just bought a little closet dehumidifier a little while ago and I'm going to let it sit there overnight to try and draw out whatever moisture is still inside. I'll prolly repeat this for another day or so.

Once it looks like it might be ready to try and turn on, how should I go about doing so? I've read that I should plug it into the power brick and let it charge fully before trying to access it with the USB cable.. is that good plan?

Again, thanks so much everyone for all of your help, you've made this whole experience a bit less scary!

...I've read that I should plug it into the power brick and let it charge fully before trying to access it with the USB cable.. is that good plan?

This does sound like a good idea, because charging the battery will introduce a little more heat to further dry the electronics.

I don't mean to ask a ton of stupid questions... but what should I expect when I plug it in? Will I see the battery charge thing? Should I be worried if I don't? Am I screwed after that?

I don't mean to ask a ton of stupid questions... but what should I expect when I plug it in? Will I see the battery charge thing? Should I be worried if I don't? Am I screwed after that?

Most likely you will see the charging indicator, but even if you don't try leaving

it plugged in for a while.

In the worst case scenario, which seems unlikely, water could have penetrated your battery. If that has happened the iPod might get very hot when you charge it. I'd pick it up after 20 or 30 minutes, it *will* be warm, but if it is uncomfortably hot then I'd unplug it, let it dry two more days, then try again.

I expect it is going to be fine.

I'm going to let it dry for the rest of the week... since Friday is the only day I'll have time to fiddle with it after today and tomorrow. Hopefully by then it will be dry enough. Thanks again!!

Hmm... just a thought, but does anyone think that perhaps the water inside the iPod could be corrosive to the parts? The device still doesn't seem to turn on, and I'm kinda afraid to plug it in again because last time I tried, the screen just kept flickering.

I have some data on the device that I'd love to get off of it, but if that's not possible than I'm not quite sure what to do. I'm tempted to open it up to see what's going on, but I'd hate to void the warranty. >< Then again, I suppose the warranty is technically void now anyway, huh?

Is the flickering screen a bad sign, now that it's been drying since Sunday evening, or should I still hold out some hope?

It doesn't get any more humid than Miami and I've never had that problem.

Well, the only other thing I can think of is that some of the rain itself soaked its way through my bookbag and into the iPod... which would be a major bummer and probably even worse news than just humidity/condensation. :-/