Sign in to follow this  
TacoOrtega09

iPod 2g humming

I have a second generation iPod, and lately there's been a slight humming noise coming from inside everytime it's playing music. It's not the headphone jack because I plugged in a turned off set of powered speakers.

I'm really hoping this isn't a harddrive issue, but there's nothing else it could be since there's no other moving parts. :cry:

My iPod hums when it doesn't know the words.

In an effort to be slightly more helpful:

The disk on an iPod does not run continuously (or at least, it shouldn't.) When the iPod starts playing, it spins up the hard disk and reads (buffers) a fairly long stretch of music (it even seems to read-ahead in the playlist to what it expects will be the next tracks.) This is partly to save battery power (spinning the hard disk consumes considerable power) and the buffering also allows it to keep playing during mild physical shock, such as jogging (when it wouldn't be able to access the disk reliably.) On my iPod, I can barely hear the whine of the disk motor when it spins up, plus some clicking which I presume to be the access heads, by placing the iPod to my ear.

So if the hum is continuous, it probably isn't related to the hard disk. But then I can't imagine what else it could be.

Thanks.

I thought it was the harddisk finally failing. I've had the thing forever. Good product.