Sign in to follow this  
mrbinary

Speeding it up

I am having two problems, the first is that I use an external monitor and keyboard for my powerbook and my keyboard is about half a second off my screen. The second problem is that I cannot seem to speed up my computer. When I go to copy something in a document it take a life time and when I go to open applications it also seems to take a lot longer then it once did.

I am useing a powerbook G4 which i bought a year ago. it has 768MB of memory and 17GB of free space on the hard drive.

Have you tried setting your processor speed to highest. System preferences>Energy Savor>Options>Processor performence>highest. You might want to check out "degunking your mac" by Joli Ballew. This not only reduces the time it takes for your hard drive to find stuff and saves a lot of space, but improves ram performance. I also know that powerbooks aren't speed wizards to begin with, but of coarse I'm not sure of the intensity of your problem. Also check out the activity monitor while the issues are happening, and see if there's anything fishy going on. Select the CPU tab and then choose all active processes from the scroll down to see if somthing in your is bugging out. I would specifically look for things going on in that are root and check the CPU%. Once I had a performance issue and I went into Activity Moniotor and saw that window server was taking up to much processor performance. I went to system preferences and turned of windows sharing under the services tab and it helped. Maybe turn of any other tabs that aren't needed in your setup. If you already new all this, I'm sorry. Oh, and I don't know what could contribute to the display latency. Make sure your graphics card supports the display your using. Hope your issue goes away. I'll check this post again soon.