Sign in to follow this  
jdhalbert

Hello Video iPod

Actually, what arrived is a thinner iPod with larger screen in 30 and 60 GB versions. Both can be white or black. It just happens to have video capabilities. :)

They do not differentiate between the regular iPod and a video iPod on their web site.... rightly so. That way, it does not take anything away from the iPod nano which has been so explosive as of late.

I've got to say I'm surprised.

I don't think I'll need to replace my current iPod with a viPod, but I'd say the video options are pretty nice.

I'm a bit disappointed that Apple has no movie store, maybe the bandwidth is simply too costly, but downloading tv shows is a nice secondary option (I have zero interest in music videos), particularly since my DVR "accidentally" erased the second episode of Lost this season. I don't think I'll buy television shows regularly, but I'd buy something I really like or accidentally missed.

If the television shows and music videos do move pretty well, Apple is really paving the way for a movie store. Yeah!

All in all, I'm pretty impressed with the announcements. =D>

it's coming folks.... as I finally figured out Azureus bittorrenting I welcome the newest medium--will give visual/audio media creatives an independent platform. Systm and Twit seemed positioned too. What is Bill Gates doing today?

I am *so* placing my order when I get home from work!

I gotta see if i can get me one of those. :D

My son has been itching to scrap his Dell DJ for an iPod nano (especially since I dumped our windoze machine for an iMac forcing him to use a laptop to sync).

If there is an easy way to convert S video to RCA jacks I might just spring for the new iPod come Christmas so he can carry video into our van on trips and play it through the van's entertainment system.

Hello, Santa. yo, Santa! Now I have something to say when people ask me "What do you want to xmas"

If the TV guys are smart (like the music guys are NOT), this could be a goldmine for them, and Apple.

I think eventually we will have to see a larger format video iPod that is optimal for viewing video, like the psp.

I think eventually we will have to see a larger format video iPod that is optimal for viewing video, like the psp.

I don't think we will. First of all, an iPod or any other small device will never be optimal for viewing video. Second, Apple still has the stance that "it's about the music."

I almost think the new video stuff in iTunes will be more popular for viewing at home than on the iPod. Especially with the FrontRow thing in the iMacs.

I almost think the new video stuff in iTunes will be more popular for viewing at home than on the iPod.  Especially with the FrontRow thing in the iMacs.

i completely agree. i dont really care about watching videos on an ipod. i think that most people, when using their ipod have it in their pocket anyways. i think the only positive thing about the new ipod is the fact that you can bring it around and hook it up to a tv.

hook it up to a tv.

I think this is the key; the video needs to be able to be put on a tv, which Apple says is possible with the current 6G iPods.

Here's what I see: Apple seems to be putting the iMac into position to become the first mainstreamly successful computer-as-living-room-digital-hub. I can see the next version of the iMac having audio and video out ports to go directly to a tv or other living room AV device. It will be another device hooked into an entertainment system like a DVD player, DVR, cable box, or Eye TV.

How does the iPod really fit into this? "Hey, I want to watch one of my movies at Grandma's. Where's my iPod?" --> So, like a DVD, the media is portable.

I think a majority of people would be willing to store all of their music, video, photos, and other media on basically what appears to be a thick monitor in their entertainment center. Some people already do this with various devices, but it isn't "easy" yet, and Apple's skill comes in making things easy, virtually automatic.

The difficult part will come in figuring out an effective way to get a novice to back-up all of that data.

The next few years are going to be interesting.

-Rob

the current 6G iPods.

5G

The color iPods were still 4G

No... That's 60GB Lunchbox, as in 60 Giga Bytes. These guys are talking about Generation 'G'. The new iPod is 5G means it's fifth generation, not 5 Giga Bytes. ;-)

i think a little wider (to acomodate a bigger screen) but thinner as well

So they replaced the thin and wide"er" iPod with a wide"er" but thiner iPod?

Did I say that right??

anyone know if the new ipods are wider than the 4G?

They sure look like they are.

i dont really care about watching videos on an ipod. i think that most people, when using their ipod have it in their pocket anyways. i think the only positive thing about the new ipod is the fact that you can bring it around and hook it up to a tv.

The niche for the "video" iPod is going to be people who commute by bus or train. Those who fly and get stuck waiting in airports and on planes. Those who travel and spend a lot of time in hotels. Parents will want them to either plug into the in-vehicle video system (need to be able to convert "S" to RCA in most cases) or to let the kids hold it and watch in the back seat.

Smaller niche will be office workers catching up on last night's show(s) on lunch break.

I don't see great potential for the commuter who drives, the person working in the yard or at the gym working out. They will use it for audio (if they are driving I HOPE they are using it for audio!).

The beauty of the new iPod is that at the heart music is still what it is about. The video capability is an "extra" for those other uses.

The big deal will be making it easy to dump last night's DVR additions to the iPod or dumping a few hours of Cartoon Network to the iPod.

No... That's 60GB Lunchbox, as in 60 Giga Bytes. These guys are talking about Generation 'G'. The new iPod is 5G means it's fifth generation, not 5 Giga Bytes. ;-)

my bad. my brain was in apple overload yesterday. thanks for keeping me grounded.

box

I'm really into this new iPod. i think if i can ask for half of the money from my parents, maybe i can get it for my birthday that's coming up.

I really wish i could get FrontRow on my iBook too, that would be killer.

I'm really into this new iPod. i think if i can ask for half of the money from my parents, maybe i can get it for my birthday that's coming up.

I really wish i could get FrontRow on my iBook too, that would be killer.

save your cash and put it on the christmas list. :lol:

No, the new ipods are ecsactly the same size as the 4th gen ipods except that they are thinner by around half (according to apple and my old ipod book)

new ipod 4.1 x 2.4 x 0.43 (30GB, inches)

old ipod 4.1 x 2.4 x 0.8 (20GB, inches)

the new ipod looks wider because the screen is bigger and the click wheel *might* be smaller

why did apple price 4 minute music videos and short films the same price as 45minute tv shows?