Sign in to follow this  
MacFanatic05

warning: importing videos for iPod video format IS SLOWWWW

Now, I fully understand why Apple is not able to support xvid or divx at the moment (since those codecs are usually associated with piracy). What I don't understand is WHYYY does it take so long for Quicktime Pro to encode H.264 for the ipod...i've been encoding last week's Saturday Night Live episode for amost 2 hours and it's not even 50% yet.

I'm running the encode on both my Mac & PC....1.42GHz Mac mini, 2GHz Athlon XP Custom Built for video editing...both of them are VERY slow....try for yourself.

I have noticed this too. There's no way I can convert my video library to work in iTunes.

I believe everyone is starting to understand why Steve Jobs said a while back that a video based iPod would not be that special of a device for everyone compared to the music iPod.

A whole lot of converting to do, me thinks. Consider that DivX is a heavily compressed format, and to convert it to something like H264, yet another heavily compressed format, it would take a whole lot of processor power...

Reminds me of needing to convert some DivX video to play on the PSP (Sony's own brand of mp4...)

Yeah, it's kind of crazy. How many people want to waste a bunch of hours just to get a one hour show onto their video iPod? And then your iPod battery is going to be half dead after watching a one hour program!

i know this is ironic but if you still happen to have a fast PC lying around (i have my 2ghz from 3 years ago), you can transcode your stuff into the ipod video format using PSP Video 9...it uses H.264 just like quicktime but the encoding times are WAY faster...it took me 45 minutes to encode a copy of Reunion i had on my mac (xvid) to the ipod format (h.264). and this was through my LAN...i didn't even need to transfer my files from mac to PC to encode.

Want to get this clear, even for myself...

MacFanatic05, are you saying that encoded PSP video can be played in iTunes?? I didn't say iPod, because seems like no one will have their hands on one until next week!

If this is true and can be confirmed, it would be great, but I thought the PSP format is sort of proprietary?

Want to get this clear, even for myself...

MacFanatic05, are you saying that encoded PSP video can be played in iTunes?? I didn't say iPod, because seems like no one will have their hands on one until next week!

If this is true and can be confirmed, it would be great, but I thought the PSP format is sort of proprietary?

yea...make sure you are encoding in AVC (h.264 in sony speak), not SP.

also...limit of 320x240 pixels.

Hi guys, I don't know if this will help at all because I am a newbie here but i have been making ipod videos using Mactheripper and Handbrake.

It takes about 3 hours to do a movie but it's better than nothing, there is a how to on the web, i just searched and found it, well better get back to making movies for my ipod video when it gets here in a week or so!!

Why do we lag behind in Australia? hehehee

Hey Im using handbreak to convert DVDs etc to MP4 with the right size 320 wide, it's riduculously fast... I loaded a 45 min long episode from my The Office DVD and it took 15 mins. I havent got my iPod video (doesnt come to NZ until the end of the year) I dont see why this shouldnt work, anyone done something similar?

If you are looking to convert non H264 files like avi , try out pspware. its made to convert movies for PSp but works great converting files to MP4 for the Ipod. I have used it for a few days and it does files very quickly. Its default settings are what you use

capt

Sorta off-topic, but I dragged (is that even correct grammar?) about 75 videos in various formats onto my iPod icon in iTunes and surprisingly two *.mov files loaded and plays flawlessly on the iPod. Anyone else try this?

I've been using an old G3 iBook to convert my personal collection of music videos and I'm averaging about 10-15 minutes per video. I can live with that. I've been doing about 4 a day and taking it slow. ;)

I'm working on an automator action that will automatically convert all movies that appear in my *ahem* "Downloads" folder and add to iTunes.