Sign in to follow this  
cbriarnold

Enhanced Podcasting (i.e. creation of)

Hello everyone,

I have recently been converting a number of my audiobooks into the chapterized .m4b files. During this move, I noticed a wonderful feature that is on the Enhanced Maccast. When I scrub through the chapters in the podcast(on a 4th Gen iPod Photo), there are certain chapters that have a title that appear above the scrubbing bar where the scrub is located. However, when I try and create chapters using Apple's Chapter Tool, none of my chapters have a title above the bar. Is there another tool that does this correctly? Or am I not adding in all the information. Here is a sample xml file that I am using.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<chapters version="1">

<chapter starttime="00:00:00">

<title>Half Title Page</title>

</chapter>

<chapter starttime="00:00:06">

<title>Title Page</title>

</chapter>

<chapter starttime="00:02:06">

<title>Introduction</title>

</chapter>

<chapter starttime="00:05:50">

<title>The Testimony Of Three Witnesses</title>

</chapter>

<chapter starttime="00:07:57">

<title>The Testimony Of Eight Witnesses</title>

</chapter>

<chapter starttime="00:09:14">

<title>Testimony Of The Prophet Joseph Smith</title>

</chapter>

<chapter starttime="00:19:21">

<title>A Brief Explanation</title>

</chapter>

<chapter starttime="00:23:15">

<title>Order Of Books</title>

</chapter>

<chapter starttime="00:24:42">

<title>Book Summary - First Nephi</title>

</chapter>

</chapters>

Things look alright there. Are you getting any errors or anything as far as the chapter tool is concerned?

No error messages. I understand you prepare the enhanced maccast. If I could take a gander at one of your xml files, maybe there is something that I am doing different

Thanks for the reply. I am going to try converting the maccast with this much information to see if it works for me. If it doesn't maybe there is a different version of the ChapterTool then the one I am using.

Does the chapter tool add chapters to the file at all, or are you left with a duplicate file? Do you get any messages that the chapter tool is finished?

Actually. I have created my own tool. What you do is, you import all the audio you need in the audiobook into iTunes. Then create a playlist with the audios in the order you desire. Export the playlist as an xml file and run my tool. My tool will take those files and create another file that is a merged version of those files in .m4a format. Then it will run the ChapterTool utility, passing in a xml file it generates with the information from the exported playlist. It is really a simple program, but I want it to show the chapter headings above the chapter mark as you are scrubbing through it.

Sql4umitch, do you use any other tools when enhancing the podcast? Or do you only create the .xml file and then run the ChapterTool command line app?

Also, I tried using the ChapterToolMe application and it had the same problem. I wonder if the resulting AAC file has to be posted as a podcast and downloaded from the web accordingly to actually work. I will be trying this over the next couple of days to see if that will resolve my issues.

Sql4umitch, do you use any other tools when enhancing the podcast? Or do you only create the .xml file and then run the ChapterTool command line app?

Also, I tried using the ChapterToolMe application and it had the same problem. I wonder if the resulting AAC file has to be posted as a podcast and downloaded from the web accordingly to actually work. I will be trying this over the next couple of days to see if that will resolve my issues.

Now, I just use an XML file and the chapter tool. You should be able to play the .m4b file as soon as the conversion is complete. No need to upload and download it.

Victory!

The solution is that you have to download the file as a podcast. There is some special undocumented feature that makes the titles appear when scrubbing through an audio only after it has been downloaded as a podcast. Maybe it is a firmware condition. I will have to run a few more tests. But I do appreciate all your help. I am very glad that I was finally able to figure out what is going on. I obviously do not know why it is going on, but that is for Apple to know and me to find out(maybe).[/b]