Sign in to follow this  
ipodman

iTunes 6

in itunes 6 apart from the obvious music store enhancements there are 2 small enhancements that were not there in itunes 5

the info bar at the top of the screen has a different textured background and the tiny ipod icon in the source menu has changed

All in all I don't think it really warrants being 6 though does it? Shouldn't it have been 5.*? There really isn't much changed in iTunes and the iTMS is all web-based so that's a whole different story.

Please correct me if I am wrong but that's how it seems to me.

in itunes 6 apart from the obvious music store enhancements there are 2 small enhancements that were not there in itunes 5

the info bar at the top of the screen has a different textured background and the tiny ipod icon in the source menu has changed

The new thing in the source list for managing video.

I always used to be one of those people who was one of the first to upgrade to a new iTunes version, but after my experiences with iTunes 5, which was quite buggy and fucked up my MusicLibrary. I am a bit more conservsative.

And I will wait for at least another 2 weeks before I upgrade no matter what.

But has anyone experienced problems so far who has upgraded?

Is the video support really better?

Because I almost never play videos in iTunes itself when I download videocasts I use real player 2 play it for 2 reasons.

First the video runs smoothly quicktime quite often is skipping.

2ndly qicktime has the option to place it above other windows when playing with is really useful as I like to just play videos in a small window and keep doing other work.

CHeers

Very sensible indeed. I took the risk and updated straight away. No problems at all so far and from what I have read it's been very stable. I have seen no reports of problems at all this time around; certainly nothing noticable or imperitive.

The new video support is kinda cool; it's really just more of a marketing thing, a bit like Frontrow in my opinion which has a certain "wow" factor to the masses before they realise nothing has really changed except added GUI.

IMO: You are good to go (or so it seems) whenever you want, but I still consider it a rather pointless update (might as well be safer with the new ones though).

CHeers

yes i had one small problem but i easily fixed it. the latest episodes of Security Now were missing and only the "Obsolete Feed" episode (1) was there. i added them back in my library and two podcasts for security now came up. 1 with the first Episode and another with the other episodes

well i just upgraded to iTunes 6.

And the only thing I can say is: Smooth and perfect!!

I just downloaded isntalled finsihed.

Didn't evenhad to restart, no problems at ALL!! Nothing, I mean iTunes even closes when I tell it to no telling me there are some other apps using apple script or something. Videos play smoothly no problems like in 4.9 or even 5 I believe where it was a bit slow and skippy.

I don't know but I started to get pissed at Apple for turining into a Microsoft making the people the beta testers.

Especially when iTunes 5 was launched it was just a big mess.

But now, so easy, I think Apple actually even improved the performace a bit.

Because that is probably the only thing left to complain about iTunes just uses too much memory ifeel but i can live with that personally got enough of it.

Way to go Apple :D

PS: now I just need the new iPod or even better, finally an iMac getting rid of my windows PC (day dremaing)

JHymn doesn't work under 6.0 at the moment, so you can't un-DRM your ITMS music. Here's what it says on the web site:

"It appears that if you make any purchases using iTunes 6.0, from that point on you must use 6.0 — and then JHymn won't work for you either. JHymn will have to learn how to perform the iTunes 6.0 protocol before this problem is likely to be fixed -- so hang on, it could be a bit of a wait.

In the meantime, you may wish to delay upgrading to iTunes 6.0 so that you can continue to free your music until a new solution is found."

http://www.hymn-project.org/jhymndoc/