Sign in to follow this  
cluenotyou

Audiobooks

I have audio books in mp3 format. I hear a lot about the .m4b format. Is there any advantage to to .m4b format over mp3 format? If so is there a way I can convert the mp3 files to .m4b?

the advantage is bookmarks, as in you can set them in m4b but not in mp3.. I guess it would be handy for chapters and the like.
Also with bookmarkable tracks: iTunes/iPod will remember where you were listening in the track so you can pick up were you left off after listening to something else. Which is really handy with audiobooks, since "thumbing through" an mp3 to find your place is... problematic at best.

Definitely bookmarks. I have been working on a tool that will make converting audiobooks to .m4b easy, but I haven't posted it on the internet for free use yet. It works great. There just isn't a GUI for you to use. If you would like me to send you a copy or give you a link to it when it is ready, send me a PM with your e-mail address.

Why not try the built-in Tunes option to remember the last playback position. Select a track, do File > Get Info, select Options, and then check Remember Playback Position. Workd great.

That sounds like a bookmark to me, and if you change the name of a single audio file to .m4b, that single audio file automatically bookmarks. Which is very useful, if you do not want to remember to put a bookmark down when you need one.

Is there any way to turn mp3 files into m4b? I have a number of Audiobooks on CD and would like to use them on my iPod as i would a downloaded version

Is there any way to turn mp3 files into m4b? I have a number of Audiobooks on CD and would like to use them on my iPod as i would a downloaded version

The files don't need to be recognized as audiobooks or m4b files by the iPod in order to play. Just follow my previous post to remember the last played spot and load the mp3 audiobook files on the iPod as if they were music.

I create a playlist of an audiobook's mp3 tracks and set the iPod preferences to download that playlist. Then all you need to do is search the iPod for that playlist and play it.

There need not be anything special or different about audiobooks to play them on an iPod.

You probably will want to join many of the very short tracks together to simplify things. Try this script from "Doug's AppleScripts for iTunes" -

http://www.dougscripts.com/itunes/scripts/...sp=jointogether

Good luck.

thanks for the reply. However, i know they don't have to be m4b to play on the ipod - i wanted to know if you could make the m4b files.

Ok. I finished the UI. It has a small bug in it that I have not been able to find a suitable answer from anyone on. When the audio's are being merged, the UI will be busy and you cannot quit the application (unless you force quit it).

In the .dmg file I provided a read me file. I created it a couple of days ago and I need to revise it and clean it up. But the setup answers are currently in that document.

FYI, the larger the final audio file will be, the longer the merging process will take.

Enjoy,

Courtney

http://www.rnolds.com/courtney/audiobookcreator.html