Sign in to follow this  

Few iBook Questions

I'm looking at buying an iBook used:

1) Can Applecare be transferred from one owner to another?

2) How is it done?

3) Is there a cost involved?

4) Is the keyboard covered by Applecare?

Thanks,

- MT

1) Yes

2) I'm not sure, you could call AppleCare and ask. You may not have to do anything as AppleCare is connected with your Mac's serial number. You might have to transfer the registration to the new owner's name.

3) No

4) If it's a manufacturing defect

And if it's a usage defect? How do I prove it's a manufacturer defect? The "Z" key is coming loose.

- MT

And if it's a usage defect? How do I prove it's a manufacturer defect? The "Z" key is coming loose.

- MT

If it happened due to normal use, they should fix it for you. If you smashed your Z key with a hammer, then no.

LOL... I'm going to assume that it happened from normal use.

- MT

As far as transfering it, its very simple. The address to send it into is located within the applecare info. You just send the original receipt, all serial numbers (iBook, applecare, etc) and the new owner info. And the old owner has to sign it.

Ive done it a couple times. Sometimes they will let you fax it in, but dont count on this working for first time. Ive had them lose a few faxes before. Mailing is the best way.

I'm just going to blatently hi-jack this related thread here and ask; as a 15" PowerBook user I am going out on Saturday to buy a new iBook for a friend. 12" iBook... Is there anything I should know before I do this? Anything I don't know about from the website?

Yes. When all new iBooks come from the factory, they still have a small amount of Carbon Monoglucatocym residue on their outer skin left over from the painting and sealing compounds used to ensure the strength and durability of the casing. Usually it is harmless to humans, but it can cause smaller animals such as small dogs and cats to have a skin rash-like affect that actually looks pink in nature (sometimes referred to as "pinkies" by vets). You'll want to wash your hands thoroughly when you get home so as to avoid spreading any residual CMg residue.

Isn't it shocking that i can just come up with that at 7:00 AM off the top of my head?? Actually the real answer is no. Just enjoy the moment!

- MT

I'm just going to blatently hi-jack this related thread here and ask; as a 15" PowerBook user I am going out on Saturday to buy a new iBook for a friend. 12" iBook... Is there anything I should know before I do this? Anything I don't know about from the website?

Just remember an ibook is not quite as "up there" as with a powerbook. They finally got the trackpad on the ibook which is good. But other features like backlight keyboard etc is missing. But ibooks are a great piece of kit, and a 12inch one is nice. I had an ibook before my powerbook and was impressed... however when i got my powerbook i then realise why people got powerbooks lol. But you should have no trouble with the ibook. The only catch on the 12inch ibook is their is no dvd-rw and i dont think their is an option for it. Also comes standard with only a 40gig hard drive which is pretty small, however you know your friends computer habbit and if they wont need more than that is fine. If not the apple store can upgrade it for a fee. But if you can live with those standard features i guarantee your friend will like it.

This thread hijacking is continued here. Apologies from the hijacker.