Sign in to follow this  
isaiah1112

New Name for the Intel PowerMac

Does anyone think that Apple will keep their PowerMac named "PowerMac" when they transfer to the Intel processors? I would imagine they would just to keep the spirit of things but the fact that the name PowerMac itself was originally created when Apple switched to the Power PC processor makes me believe that they would drop the PowerMac and just call it a G5!!

Oh, but let's not stop there! Why should they call it a G5 at all? The G5 processor was created/built by IBM as part of their PowerPC design so why doesn't Apple update the code name of their processor as well. I would certainly like to see a GWhizz out there somewhere!

Anyway just wanted to know what everyone's thoughts were as well as just share some of my own (which probably aren't worth much but hey, their still mine)!

you can also apply your theory to the PowerBook as well. Will Apple just keep it because of the branding? Or go once step furthur and rename the whole lot? (the last step will prob cos too much money in marketing but you never know!)

As long as they dont call it the PentMac or anything stupid like we all will be fine.

Why not call it a G6, then we can get them confused with Pontiacs! :-D

roog

Why not call it a G6, then we can get them confused with Pontiacs!

That was where I was saying that they should just call it a GWhizz... Something a little different for the consumer. I can almost hear it now...

"I am running OS X Lepard on a Macintosh GWhizz. "

Plus I think that tiiim is right. If Apple were to drop the Power* line then they would have to get rid of the PowerBooks as well as the PowerMacs.

That's probably been the main topic of discussion for at leasst the last year. It's insane to drop such a brand name but can they legally keep it and keep Intel happy too? I doubt it. Dropping the name is suicide though... Oh the "no-answer" dilema.

Personally I don't see the problem. Does anyone know what the i in iMac actually stands for anyway?

October 1st 2005:

well it sound more technolohical, well thought out and Appleized. Also more idententifiable. what would you rememeber? iPod or sony viao 2356

November 7th 2005:

ummm. Internet Mac

Don't be a jerk. You didn't know either.

October 1st 2005:

well it sound more technolohical, well thought out and Appleized. Also more idententifiable. what would you rememeber? iPod or sony viao 2356

November 7th 2005:

ummm. Internet Mac

Don't be a jerk. You didn't know either.

Didn't know what??!!!!! :? :x

Didn't know what??!!!!! :?  :x

Didn't know what the "i" in iMac stood for. You didn't know it stood for Internet until I told you.

Hmmm, iMac! :D

No, that's taken. xMac? x=x86 Mac=PowerMac

MacIntel PowerMac P4

Hopefully one day Intel will move beyond the Pentium Pro generation.

How about

"WorldDominationMac"

or

"iPodMac"

advertising tagline "the perfect accessory to sync your iPod with"

...or am I just being cynical?

I just wish Apple would come with a name for it already. I can't tell you how much it grates on me to see "IntelliMac" or "MacIntel" or any other idiotic moniker that folks on the internet are calling it. At least Adam has been kind enough to my ears to say "Intel-based Macintoshes" ... so thanks Adam!