Sign in to follow this  
benh

iTunes issues/gripes looking for solutions.

humm... here are a few issues that I have with iTunes. I'm using v6 on a Powerbook.

1) I would love to be able to allow for specific event based actions per-podcast. This would allow me to auto-delete a file when I have finished listing to it. I listen to a fair bit of news and when I am done I spend time going in and deleting old episodes, it would be nice if there were event hooks for this.

2) Why are each podcast streams not treated like a play list? This would allow me to select a top level podcast (ie 'Maccast') and then hit play and listen to all the episodes, like it was a play list. Currently just the top episode is played and when thats done iTunes stops. I would love it I could jump to the next, or next unplayed episode. I get around this by dragging the top level from the podcast section in to the left bar, it creates a play list and then I play that... again it's not a huge issue, just would be nice to have this built in.

3) This is more of a gripe with the podcast directory but why cant I subscribe to the background? If I go to the Music store/ Podcast Directory and subscribe to a podcast I am taken to the podcast section in iTunes. I would like to have the option to stay in the Music store so that I could subscribe to more podcasts.

Some of this might might be able to be solved via Applescript but looking to see if any one here has any ideas.

benh~

1) Tell iTunes to keep only unplayed podcasts.

2) Most people don't listen to multiple episodes of the same show in a row, but sounds like you already solved your problem.

3) Do you really subscribe to podcasts that frequently? All you have to do is click Music Store in the source list and you go right back to where you left off.

1) I dont want to ditch *all* played podcasts... only, lets say for instance, only just-played NPR: Technology podcasts.

2) Why wouldn't some one listen to sequential podcasts? There are audio books, what happens if you missed the last two MacCasts, or wanted to catchup on a newly found podcast ...

3) Some times. But the current behavior encurages users to only subscribe to one podcast. If I do a search for 'Mac' and find two or three podcasts that look interesting and want see if all the episodes are as good as the intro then I have to spend a few minutes doing what should only take a few seconds. It's just annoying and I've run into this a few times.

Personally I see this as being a little picky. With all due respect these are minor gripes about things that have annoyed you in the first weeks use and once you are set up will never worry about or need again. Additionally I would like to add than in the case of auto-deleting certian podcasts based on your specific requirements as are in your head, on the fly, at that time only...

Computers are supposed to be interactive things; not simply automated resposes to automated actions. Take some pride and interact with your computer.

[Please don't take this as a flame but I think it get's my points across in a way everyone can understand, that's all it's meant to do and it's the only way I could think to do it.]

1) I dont want to ditch *all* played podcasts... only, lets say for instance, only just-played NPR: Technology podcasts.

I have to say I agree. I have a number of podcasts that I subscribe to and I don't want them all to be removed when I've listened to them.

Currently it appears that iTunes holds a single set of preferences for podcasts, but it wouldn't take the greatest of Apples programmers to alter this to hold individual preferences for each podcast (this could be done by utilising xml).