Sign in to follow this  
Bigpics

Q re iPod, Ext H.Drive, Mixed Win/Mac (posted in HWare too)

OK, this question is a little detailed and complex, but if anyone has any considered thoughts, I'd sure appreciate them.

So....I grabbed the Student Union deal to break into the MacWorld with an iBook and 60 GB iPod (large music/photo collection).

But also intend to start a regular podcast (and/or a vidcast), and had become resigned to needing to buy a second device (Sony Minidisc or Eridol SR1) to record CD-quality audio on the go.

NOW Apple's released the 5G model which is basically (once the software and mic input options become clearer) a podcast recording studio without needing a second device with me.

And I'd still rather only deal with one device. So.... ...considering putting the old (new) iPod up on eBay and then buying the new with the diff.

But then I have this OTHER issue. I'm buying a new external hard drive to back up my 200 GB's of data files on my Windows PC, and that drive cannot be partitioned so that I can ALSO use it to back up my Mac. In other words you can't have an HFS section on a drive for the Mac and an NTFS section for the PC.

I thought of mirroring my Mac data files into a folder, since there's far fewer of them, but, THAT would require formatting the drive as FAT 32. And you can't back up files bigger than 4GB on a FAT 32 drive with Retrospect.

So THEN I decided I needed TWO external HD's. And THEN realized I already had a second one -- my new (old) iPod. Kind of an expensive 60 GB ext HD, but also a back up iPod in a pinch.

Any comments on the best/most cost effective ways to get the backup I need and the new (new) iPod I HAVE to have??

:?:

And specifically, if I enable the iPod for hard drive use on the iBook can I ALSO use PART of it as a regular iPod photo at the same time??

:?:

If the 200GB of data on your Windows system now is data you don't expect to modify or change, then you could format the external drive as NTFS, copy all your files to it, then read them on your Mac. Macs can mount NTFS drives as read-only volumes.

You can drag and drop files onto your iPod for storage purposes and still use it in the usual way for music.

Welcome to a world of computers without Gates.

Great (and quick) info! Thanks!

However, you made me think of a new question actually.

First, I will be sticking with my PC as my main big momma PShop processing machine -- at least until Macintels are on the market and pretty well unkinked -- as neither MS Word (on either platform) or Open Office can hold a candle to WordPefect and I'm a writer and photographer. So the External HD is going to need to stay on an automatic Retrospect backup schedule.

So the Q is: Can I make the External drive hooked to the PC another shared volume my Mac can see from AirPort as My Documents is now?? Otherwise I'd have to copy from the Mac to the PC and then to the Ext HD.

Or can I hook my Mac and my PC simultaneously to my two Firewire ports and see the drive on both? (This sounds quite dangerous, and maybe "just wrong" :shock: to me).

As for a world without Gates, alas, first there's the no WPerfect for Mac situation, the ubiquitiousness of .wmv files, and then you might also check out the extensive list of switcher issues I just posted in that portion of the forum (and maybe have some ideas about?!).

Thanks again....