Sign in to follow this  
mikejones_uk

What Powermac G5 to buy

I'm a windoze user looking to switch, and I have a question. I've decided a G5 powermac is for me, but am not sure whether to get a newer dual-core 2ghz model, or get an older one that has the two seperate 2ghz processors. In know the newer one has the PCIe bus, but I'm not sure if it's always a good idea to buy into 'version 1' of a new Apple product. Surely the older G5's have had the 'issues' worked out of them by now :wink:

Do you really need that much power? What are you doing that you need to have the dual core? MOST people won't need that much power. Even all the video work that I do is done on a single G4.

I would suggest looking at the single dual 2.0Ghz unless you need a monster.

- MT

I'm a recent switcher, and after getting used to OS X with my Mac Mini I bought a Power Mac Dual 2.0 G5, not the new dual core, but rather the one before it.

I'm very glad I bought the Power Mac, and I do think you'd be well advised to get one.

I'd have no hesitation about getting one of the just released dual core models. One other advantage they offer is the use of DDR2 memory. I'd expect this to have a dramatic effect on speed.

I like Macs and OS X so much that I now offer them for sale on my own web stores.

Do you really need that much power? What are you doing that you need to have the dual core? MOST people won't need that much power. Even all the video work that I do is done on a single G4.

- MT

Ill agree with this. I won a G5, only because a do some serious audio/video editing. I cant imagine the average consumer getting much out of a G5. The iMac should be all the power you would ever need.

I am going to be the middle man. I think everyone can benefit from having a G5, even a dual of any kind, but to really use it, need it, warrant the money... We would have to know more about what you are doing with it.

What kind of spec are you using at the moment for that purpose and how does it hold up?

Finally, I wouldn't hesitate about buying into version 1 of an Apple product; this isn't Microsoft here, we don't have v9.9.9 by the end of the week. Of course there are pros and cons of having either kind of dual (processor or core) but it's ultimatly down to cost if you were to go with the Power Mac as the new ones have (as stated by the Professor) DDR2 and PCI-E which are going to boost performace like... there isn't a word to put here. I can personally vouch for that from experiance.

I am going to be the middle man. I think everyone can benefit from having a G5, even a dual of any kind, but to really use it, need it, warrant the money... We would have to know more about what you are doing with it.

What kind of spec are you using at the moment for that purpose and how does it hold up?

Finally, I wouldn't hesitate about buying into version 1 of an Apple product; this isn't Microsoft here, we don't have v9.9.9 by the end of the week. Of course there are pros and cons of having either kind of dual (processor or core) but it's ultimatly down to cost if you were to go with the Power Mac as the new ones have (as stated by the Professor) DDR2 and PCI-E which are going to boost performace like... there isn't a word to put here. I can personally vouch for that from experiance.

hey matt, im curious. what cons are there to the new dual-cores? i wasnt aware of any.

My point was that with dual CPU vs. dual core you have issues that are negligable and very specific to the use of the processor. These are negligable and are very much un-noticed unless the machine is for a specific purpose such as gaming or encoding to a certain format using a certain program. Many people argue the differences between the two including speed and heat issues.

A good source of such arguments (read: "discussions") is Neowin.

- MT

But the 2.0 GHz machines will be a single CPU with dual core, so basically it is the same as what we have now with the dual 2.0 GHz CPU machines. The only machine with two dual core CPUs will be the 2.5 GHz machines.

Hmm..for the price of a quad core powermac g5 you can buy like 12 mac minis and have yourself a pretty powerful beowulf cluster.

I don't need a new G5, but I want one, some people have more money than they know what to do with. Unfortunately I have more wants than I have money to do with. :-)

If you want the G5 dual core, go for it, you will not be disappointed.

roog

Hmm..for the price of a quad core powermac g5 you can buy like 12 mac minis and have yourself a pretty powerful beowulf cluster.

But how would you link them?