Sign in to follow this  
smc935

Video ipod & Quicktime

Can Quicktime convert DVDs to video for a video ipod?

Any other recommended ways to do this as efficiently as possible?

I've tried. It won't pull the entire DVD, only select chapters. I don't know why.

When you start MacTheRipper you'll see two buttons |Disc|Mode|

Select "Mode" and then select "Full Disc Extraction". This will rip the full disc to your hard drive. ripdifferent.com has some good info.

I think you'll then need to convert to the right codec to load to your iPod. I don't anything about that, as I don't have a video iPod, try googling for a tutorial.

Disclaimer: I not sure ripping a DVD to your iPod comes within the "fairplay" framework, and therefore could be illegal. I would suggest that if you want more detailed inforamation of this nature you try sites that are more "dedicated" to this subject.

SERIOUSLY GUYS!

No that just too difficuilt, takes far too long the best way to do this is using a free program called "Handbreak" this thing is genius, heres the guide I use to do it (And its really fast I'm putting episodes of the OC from my DVD onto my iPod it's about 20 mins to encode a whole episode. I put my two Kill Bill DVDs on took about 40 mins per Movie and its ready to play instantly on your ipod video!

http://howto.diveintomark.org/ipod-dvd-ripping-guide/

SERIOUSLY GUYS!  

No that just too difficuilt, takes far too long the best way to do this is using a free program called "Handbreak" this thing is genius, heres the guide I use to do it (And its really fast I'm putting episodes of the OC from my DVD onto my iPod it's about 20 mins to encode a whole episode. I put my two Kill Bill DVDs on took about 40 mins per Movie and its ready to play instantly on your ipod video!

http://howto.diveintomark.org/ipod-dvd-ripping-guide/

Interesting, I only downloaded Handbreak a few days ago, but haven't had a chance to use it.

Out of curiousity how big is the file for a movie like Kill Bill?

It's fantastic for Kill Bill Volume two thats more than a two hour movie at 400kb/s at ipod screen size with full quality sound and it comes to a grand total of just under 500 mbs... Just for measure an episode of fawlty towers which takes up the whole screen full quality sound measured up at just over 100 mbs, thats a 30min video. And the best part its the speed this little app does it with! Oh and Napoleon Dynamite hit 173.4 mbs as you can see these files are tiny!

It's fantastic for Kill Bill Volume two thats more than a two hour movie at 400kb/s at ipod screen size with full quality sound and it comes to a grand total of just under 500 mbs... Just for measure an episode of fawlty towers which takes up the whole screen full quality sound measured up at just over 100 mbs, thats a 30min video. And the best part its the speed this little app does it with! Oh and Napoleon Dynamite hit 173.4 mbs as you can see these files are tiny!

That really is amazing, so you could load all twelve episodes of Fawlty Towers using probably less than 1.5GB.

I must admit I was sceptical of just how useful an "iPod with video" would be, but I'm starting to get the idea...and Apple haven't even unleashed a true "Video iPod" yet.