Sign in to follow this  
PSA

Anyone have the new iMac?

Hi All.

Well, next week I plan on getting the new 20" iMac and was wondering if anyone here has one yet and can share thier experience with it. The screen looks huge and I hear the G5 2.1ghz is pretty darned fast. I am coming from a 2.0ghz XEON PC.

With this iMac purchase I will OFFICIALLY be switching from my PC at home. I have been using a PC since my old 286 many many years ago. A little nervous about the switch and learning a bunch of new keyboard shortcuts, etc.. I live and die by control-c (copy) and control-d (paste) but I am eager to get on the awesome new hardware and software Apple offers.

Thanks.

I live and die by control-c (copy) and control-d (paste)

That is what apple-c and apple-v are for. Enjoy your Mac! I have an older revision iMac G5 17inch, and I just love it!

PSA,

I also am a long time PC user turned switcher. I also lived by the keyboard shortcuts but now am very used to using the more intuatively placed Apple keyboard shortcuts and working on Windows seems a nightmare without (and often with) a mouse. Command is your friend, believe me. Be sure to check your keyboard preferances for hints and you will soon get the idea and find many more yourself.

I don't personally have an iMac, only a PowerBook but I have used iMacs (new), Power Macs (new) and iBooks and have to say they are all very impressive. I would very much like a new iMac or Power Mac, but am afraid that the PowerBook suits my working needs much more and I am not one to be using two computers if I don't need to (been there, done that, found it a nightmare the amount of files I create and delete on a daily basis). I can certainly say the iMac screen is a nice one and is big, but seems bigger. In addition I can be testament to the 30" and dual 30" Cinema Display setups; both very nice also.

I am sure you will love the machine and will soon come to love the white. Have a great time with your machine.

Ps. Be warned that the one button mouse somehow seems easier to use than the Mighty Mouse, I don't know why but as a Logitech veteran I didn't think too highly of the MM sensitivity (too high on the roller-ball/left click even for an ex-longtime-gamer who has his mouse sensitivity maxed out on all settings everywhere on every machine).

Matt,

Thank you kindly for your feedback in this thread and my form filler/PW manager thread in the Software forum.

I have played with the mightymouse and I also believe that a regular 2-button is probably going to be the way to go. Like you I am also a longtime Logitech user and the mighty mouse right click is kinda wierd.

I would have to say that I am switching to Mac for different reasons than most switchers. I have always kept my WinXP up to date with security patches, virus definitions, and spyware guards and I am 100% honest when I say I have never had a virus, spyware, or other security breaches on my PC, *ever*. Some say I am just lucky but I tend to think it is more than luck.

I AM switching for the following reasons. I am very excited and passionate about computing. I spend major hours for both work and enjoyment on my PC. Microsoft has really been STALE since Windows 2000. Back in the day the improvement from Win98 to Win2000 was an exciting time because it was a fairly major shift in stability that Win98 just didn't have at the time. Windows XP was an ok upgrade but it was just that, OK. Not too exciting for me.

Apple is an exciting company and has exciting products. Every 6 months it gets better and better. I paid NO attention to Apple until Tiger came out but have been following them ever since and even dipped in for an iPod 1 year ago. I was initially going to wait to switch until the Intel Macs came out next year but then Apple had to go and release the new iMac. =) The computer is too cool and has too many features that my family will enjoy all on great hardware and a great software platform. Simply put, Apple has offered me that level of excitement and enjoyment I am looking for.

PSA,

You have no idea how similar we are. I was of the exact same mind and have never been so impressed with any product, products or company in my life. It's hard not to appear a sad lemming, but from personal experiance... It's impossible to be otherwise.

I have the new 20''er its amazing... its pretty fast and the screen is huge.... i also have an old 17" and the new 20" is thinner.... i thought steve was lying about that.... its a great buy and you will love it.... btw i am a switcher... just 2 months ago i bought my first mac :)

oh and about ctrl-c and ctrl-V

just think command.... command "key" is mostly the same as winblows shortcuts

I'll be ordering a new iMac G5 tomorrow. Will try to post my observations once I test drive it. (Getting the 60GB video iPod as well :lol: )

I'll be ordering a new iMac G5 tomorrow. Will try to post my observations once I test drive it. (Getting the 60GB video iPod as well  :lol: )

Wow great buys there I must say. Are you getting the bluetooth keyboard/mouse, or you just prefer the ones that come with the imac?

Regardless, awesome choices *thumbs up*

Wow great buys there I must say. Are you getting the bluetooth keyboard/mouse, or you just prefer the ones that come with the imac?

Regardless, awesome choices *thumbs up*

sebaz, thanks. I already have BT keyboard and mouse, so just stuck with the ones bundled with iMac G5. Ordered this morning - can't wait. Well, we all know the feeling:)

I maxed out that 20'' model: 2.5 GB of RAM and 500GB of HD. Right now I am using PowerBokk G4 (with external display) that has 1Gig of memory and 100GB of HD. I think I'm gonna feel the difference in performance right away!

I had to add my 2 cents, because I just picked up a 20" iSight iMac and I am really enjoying it. It looks super, and has lots of screen real estate. It's the same size as my 20" display at work, but somehow I seem to fit more on it, probably just due to my work and home habits being different. So far I haven't been able to do much video conference testing, but it's ready, and I've at least seen it via one way video chat to my Laptop.

As far as the wireless keyboard/mouse, I really wanted a wireless keyboard at least because I was planning to use this in the bedroom for lounging and watching video/DVDs and music whlie laying around via the Front Row remote. However, the particular store I went to only had the wired/mighty package available, and when I did the math, factoring in losing the wired keyboard/mighty mouse combo and paying $60 for the wireless combo, it would be a net $20 loss, rather than the first glance $60 gain. Sure you get both the wireless keyboard and mouse for $60 as opposed to $120, but you subtract the $30+$50 that you 'trade in' and I think it's worth spending $60 on a separate wireless keyboard and having more stuff.

Anyway, I really love it, and everyone likes making funny photos :)

stevie, I'm with you, I too have ordered my 20" iMac with the standard wired keyboard and Mighty Mouse, and bought a wireless keyboard seperately (I've got a BT mouse already).

Only trouble - estimated ship is by 12th Dec :( (BTO harddrive)

Hi,

I'm sooo happy to read this thread. I'm a long time PC user as well and I'm now eagerly tracking my iMac 20" on its way home.

I'm not sure if I can summarize what got me into bitting the Apple but I work with XP Pro on a IBM laptop and some times I really feel like throughing it through the window (never better said :D )

So I finally took the plunge and bought the iMac for home. I had also decided on waiting for the Intel machines but then came this new baby and I just couldn't hold myself.

So I'll be staying around the forum asking all kind of newbies questions and hopping to learn and share experiences with other switchers.

Regards from Spain,