Sign in to follow this  
PSA

Entourage or OSX MAIL?

I will be moving from my PC to my iMac next week and I am trying to determine what people think is better, Entourage or OSX Mail?

I am leaning towards using Mail mostly because I want to take advantage of the Spotlight intergration. I will be switcing my email from MS Outlook 2003.

Does anyone know how to effectively export my mail from Outlook 2003 on the PC to a format that I can import into Mail? Can Mail import a .PST file? A friend said I should go from Outlook to Entourage and then have Mail import from Entourage.

Going from PC to Mac is extremely easy. I know for certain a simple google search of "Microsoft Outlook to Entourage" will bring up a host of results. I did this same thing two yrs ago. Seamless.

Going from Mac to Windows is the hard one. If anyone knows of a way to take mail from Entourage and put it into Outlook (not express) without the use of third party apps, please let me know.

Getting back on thread...which is better, Entourage or Mail. Hmm...I think I actually started (at least participated in) a thread of this exact same subject matter a while ago here on the Maccast Forums. Do a search, I'm sure you'll find it. I switched from Entourage to Mail about 6mo. ago. It has it's good points and bad points, but like you, I wanted Spotlight integration. Also, easier to place in iPod, and my Bluetooth cell phone. I'm still forced to use Entourage at work, even though I think Mail's exchange support might even prove to be better.

Anyways, this is turning into a book, so I'm outty.

Word.

Personally, after years of Outlook and Office, I have spent a small fortune on Office for Mac (RB) and now uninstalled it for iWork and Mail. Mail is a great little app; very simple, works well, nothing to report really. It reads and writes mail; what else do you want?

I personally use Gmail almost exclusively (even for work I refuse to use any other mail client) so using Mail wasn't a problem as I can still re-download all my old mail, both sent and recived. As for sharing from Outlook; I have heard good things but not experianced it due to my Gmail. I have some really old E-mails on here (found one from 1996 today!) but I honestly don't know how they got there because I never did use Outlook on my Mac... I can't remember how I got them there, but if they were from my PC then it goes to show that it's so easy I don't even remember doing it.

Outlook on the PC is horrible!

I really hate the way you have to click send and receive by default. Also your never to sure if it has actually send anything, because when you turn it off, it sends and bloody receives!

As far as I'm conserned I'd prefer to use telnet and pine!

Thank god I got my mac when I did...

I have never use Entourage however, but I don't think I will try it I've still got issues with MS as you may tell.

I just can't wait till apple bring out the 'MS Word Killer'. It will be much the same as Pages: very clean interface, 4 or 5 buttons on top, inspectors to do all the complicated stuff. Hurry up please! Sorry,went a little of topic.

Mac Mail is very similar to Thunderbird. Probably the majoy difference is that apple uses their old trick of symbolic folders and thunderbird actually moves you e-mails out of the in box into the folders you set up associated with various filters.

Symbolic folders? Not sure what that is. I create folders, and it moves the messages into them w/ rules. Now, perhaps the Smart Folders creates 'aliases' of the message, but not sure.

As for the previous post...gMail is a cool mail service. But it's not the answer to all life's problems. Not even for most email problems. For someone using two computers at two locations, I think that perhaps an IMAP acct might be the best solution. For me, I like the idea of using my @pixelzion.com email. For some, it adds a little bit more 'stature' that you're not using some free mail service, and you've got your own domain. Anyways, that's for a diff. topic.

I just wished Apple would incorporate the addressbook and calendar w/in the Mail.app. That's about the only thing I can think of that I miss w/ Entourage.

I used Entourage for many years on OS 9 and still used it when I transitioned to OS X. However, after giving Mail an honest try, I decided to use Apple Mail and haven't looked back.

I think it's major feature is the fact that it's so well integrated into OS X that you just can't beat it.

roog

I used Entourage (for a few months) and I used Mail. Mail is just so much simpler to use.

Apple Mail is quite like Thunderbird, except it looks better, has smart folders (althoughj maybe I am behind on the Thunderbird releases), Spotlight and of course works with more than a dozen E-mail address' on Earth... Most of my mail address' arn't handled by Thunderbird for technical reasons of one kind or another; not the case with Apple Mail.

Hi,

My experience with getting email from a PC to a Mac is from Thunderbird on the PC to Apple Mail on the Mac.

Its very straight forward & the mailboxes in Thunderbird are compatible with Apple Mail. So I would see if you can go from Outlook 2003 to Thunderbird on the PC first & then once it all looks good in Thunderbird, copy the mailbox folders to the Mac and then run a Inport from inside Apple Mail.

As you can tell, my vote is for Apple Mail.

I would imagine you could import your mail because Microsoft and Apple are big and file transfers like that to a certain degree that is...

When I bought my Mac in 2003 I bought a copy of Office and made Entourage my desktop mail app. After a few months I got curious and started using Mail, in about a week I decided to switch completely to Mail.

Entourage is a good app, and I like the fact that Mail and Contacts are together. However, overall I felt that OSX Mail was better integrated into the OS and it has the typical uncluttered Apple design philosophy.

As a general point. With hindsight I would say that my purchase of Office was a waste of money. I would suggest to any switcher that they see how they get on without Office and maybe try the 30 day trial software of iWork or the venerable Appleworks. Just a suggestion, of course everyone has their own specific requirements.

As a general point. With hindsight I would say that my purchase of Office was a waste of money. I would suggest to any switcher that they see how they get on without Office and maybe try the 30 day trial software of iWork or the venerable Appleworks. Just a suggestion, of course everyone has their own specific requirements.

I couldn't agree more. This is what I tried to say in my last post/previous posts I believe; but alas, the late hour caught up with me.

Thanks for all the input guys! I think my best bet is to go from Outlook 2003 to Thunderbird on the PC and then import Thunderbird mail into OSX Mail.

I see some negative comments towards Office 2004. Does it suck that bad on the Mac? I know on the PC Office 2003 is a VERY mature product. Is it not liked because it is Microsoft or because it really isn't good?

Does anyone have experience with Open Office for the Mac? I deal heavily with Word document and Excel spreadsheets. I live and die by spreadsheets. Does iWork come with a powerful and compatible Excel like program? I think Pages looks awesome.

iWork is so-so but as a student i use MS Student. its a students school companion.

Thanks for all the input guys!  I think my best bet is to go from Outlook 2003 to Thunderbird on the PC and then import Thunderbird mail into OSX Mail.

I see some negative comments towards Office 2004.  Does it suck that bad on the Mac?  I know on the PC Office 2003 is a VERY mature product.  Is it not liked because it is Microsoft or because it really isn't good?

Does anyone have experience with Open Office for the Mac?  I deal heavily with  Word document and Excel spreadsheets.  I live and die by spreadsheets.  Does iWork come with a powerful and compatible Excel like program?  I think Pages looks awesome.

Personally I think Excel is the one killer app in the Office suite. If you need to use a serious spreadsheet application Excel is the only one.

I haven't used Office 2004, but I found Office v.X to be quite decent. The only problem I found was with embedded objects in word documents. Object linking is handled somewhat differently on OSX and Windows. I've had cases where where I've embedded an object sent the file to a Windows user and they've just seen an empty placeholder. I learned it was probably best to avoid embedding any objects or at least test the result on Windows yourself before sending.

Use Mac Mail if you can and Entourage if you have to. I have to use Entourage to connect to my work Exchange server and it works but its a pain. Its slow, some time looks up for 60 seconds and does not support Spotlight.

Oliver

I kmow, that was part of my beef with it. Couldn't you just download the spoltlught plugin for Entourage off Apple's website?