Sign in to follow this  
smc935

adding Bluetooth

I bought my iBook G4 just a couple weeks before they started making Bluetooth standard. Other than the USB plug-ins, is there a way to get Bluetooth? Can it be installed now that I already have the computer? If so, where do I get the hardware?

Thanks

I think you can send it to apple and have them install it. i am not sure how much its costs tho

Apple usually will not install it after the fact. I specifically aked them this on an iBook reguarding the same issue. When I bought mine they even offered it, but i didnt take it. A month later i wanted it. So, no, you could try to do it yourself, but i think you are out of luck.

Bluetooth plugs are small, inexpensive and really kinda cool (because they flash blue), so they're your best bet. Besides, you'll use your WiFi more then you'll use the Bluetooth.

- MT

Yes, but is it worth it? What are you actually doing with Bluetooth that would require such an adverturous endevore? Even if ALL your printers were bluetooth and your palm was bluetooth and your phone was bluetooth, it still wouldn't be worth it.

- MT

The best Bluetooth add-on is the D-Link DBT-120, it's great because it allows you to add it to any computer that doesn't have it (like my PowerMac G4 and my PC) plus anyone else's computer that has USB. I used it to backup my Dad's cell phone address book when I was visiting them for example.

As far as I know, it can't be added after the fact on an iBook.

roog

The best Bluetooth add-on is the D-Link DBT-120...

Thanks for this information. I just ordered one for my Power Mac.

And then when my PowerBook gets here, and maybe a bluetooth headset, and the Skypeing from anywherre in the house, or anywhere else that my PowerBook can get to the 'Net.

Yeah, definitely get the D-Link DBT-120.

If you want to use an Apple wireless keyboard or mouse the D-Link is a requirement, you can't just use any old USB Bluetooth device.

You're welcome! The drivers for the DBT-120 are built into OS X so nothing more needed to add it's functionality. Just plug it in and pair your devices in the Bluetooth preference pane in System Prefs.

I use a Jabra BT-250v headset with iChat, it works great on my PowerBook (built in Bluetooth) and with the DBT-120 on my PowerMac G4.

Enjoy!

roog