Sign in to follow this  

"Shocking" News and Ideas for Those With Earbud Pa

Hey all,

OK, those of you who know me know I have more then a few piercings (six of which are in each of my ears ... three and three, not six and six). I too have had trouble with headphones and static shock, but not the Apple headphones specifically.

Of the three piercings in each ear, the one that gives me the most trouble with static shock are my tragus piercings (the little "nub" near the middle of your ear). When the blue Sony headphones that I have start to wear down and the faces start to fall out, I get occasional static shock when the exposed wires make contact with my piercings.

Either I must be used to this kind of "sensitivity" or I'm not getting the level of shock that the other guy is because it doesn't bother me all that much. However, you don't need metal in your body to conduct electricity. As we all know, the human body will conduct electricity just fine without any... um, "extra help". The bottom line is you might not want to stick exposed metal earplugs in your ears. the rubber or plastic coverings aren't just there for looks.

- MT

I too am having problems. I use a nano.

I think the explanation is pretty simple. I know the listener that sent in the problem was not using the black earbud covers. Im pretty sure anything covered will be ok. I use sony's, and althought they are plastic on the outside, they still have holes that lead directly inside them.

I have noticed that if i keep it in my pocket and not on my desk, i dont usually get shocked throughout the day.

Somehow we can relate this to the Nano scratches......hmmm, lawsuits galore perhaps? LOL!! :lol: 8) :shock: :x

If some pansy actually attempts to make a lawsuit claim out of this, I will take personal time from my daily schedule to testify in favor of Apple.

- MT

If some pansy actually attempts to make a lawsuit claim out of this, I will take personal time from my daily schedule to testify in favor of Apple.

- MT

ya, im behind that. Im actuallly surprised it hasnt been brought up before. it obviously isnt a new issue. Maybe everyone is just being good buys and girls and wearing their earbud covers

... which leads me to ask, "How dumb do you have to be to stick live wires in your ears??" When I get shocked, I throw out the pair I have and get a new one.

On top of which, it's common knowledge that those Apple earbuds aren't that great; they're just a generic accessory that happens to come in white. 90% of all the other earphones that are of any decent quality take care to ground the electricity so that it's not just shooting off into space.

I really hope that we aren't starting to change this country into a place where, "I don't think I'll risk my safety" is replaced with "Oooh look they're white and they match my Gap shirt!!".

- MT

"Oooh look they're white and they match my Gap shirt!!".

- MT

lol. Im always amazed at the number of people that keep those headphones. Most of the people in world cant even get them in their ears right, but they are to cheap to go buy a pair that fits good. They just dropped $300 on the iPod, but cant do $30 on some headphones. They really are pretty crappy. I think it is nice apple includes them, but honestly, theres a million companies out there with cheap headphones that fit much better, and there are even more with nice headphones that fit amazing.

Exactly. There are even audio companies that have come out with "iPod specific" headphones. Granted, they're like $250...

There are much cheaper, safer alternatives that will not only work and sound better, but will reduce the risk of self-inflicted electroshock therapy. I've mentioned in the past that I use the blue Sony $9.99 pair that you can get at any Walmart, Target or other electronics distributor. The real benefit of these is that they're cheap and practically disposable.... oh, and they will go with that Gap shirt you've been eyeing up too!

- MT

When your a kid (that is not a snob and has no connection to any money source except parents, but i would be a brat and, well yeah, but if you have to gwet something important from your parents be nice and make it worth it.) $300 is alot. I only have $200, but I'm gonna do eBay soon. I'm not the type to spend $20 bucks on a pair of earphones, they do what they do, end of my story.

I'm not the type to spend $20 bucks on a pair of earphones, they do what they do, end of my story.

I totally agree, but please remember, the point here is not to spend money on headphones, but rather to know how to protect yourself. Like I mentioned before, you can spend $10 and get a more then quality pair.

- MT

yeah, but who would stick wires in there ears? but you guys cases are totally different.

I got a good pair of Sony earbuds for about $15 at Walmart. I've been using them for years and haven't had a problem. Just do a bit of researching and you can find a good pair at a good price.

Sign in to follow this