Sign in to follow this  
mac user X

Mutliple libraries in iTunes?

is there anyway to have multiple libaries in iTunes, I need one for me and one for my mom.

Option 1: You'll need to have a desktop login for you, and a login for your mom. Each of your accounts will have to have a copy of the music. Neither account would see the other.

Option 2: You could move your music to a Shared folder and point iTunes there for both accounts. This would save space on your drive.

Steve

i want to do it without doing 2 user accounts. i want it all in iTunes.

maybe you're just picky, but i would simply make 2 seperate playlists

wanna get fancy? use smart playlists based on grouping of some other field value that isnt already being used

good luck

Does iTunes, have "Custom Fields", which you can set for like the name of the fields would be music, and have two names, Mom and Yours? Cause then you can set up the Smart Playlist really easy.

And if not...

I think the Fields are all set up in the XML File, Aren't They? And if they are that would be easy to declear a couple new fields...but would iTunes regionzie them?

Just a thought

You could do that in several ways. Personally, I just use the 'Groupings' field for 'self defined' items. You can also define the Genre in most any way you want. And, if that's not sufficient, you can use Comments, which, is totally open but sometimes populated by song info.

You could do that in several ways.  Personally, I just use the 'Groupings' field for 'self defined' items.  You can also define the Genre in most any way you want.  And, if that's not sufficient, you can use Comments, which, is totally open but sometimes populated by song info.

Yea i guess i was overthinking...

Jazzmac - I've been known to do that myself. And, I have to say, I semi-often consider the XML capabilities (and the opportunity to manipulate) of iTunes.

Jazzmac - I've been known to do that myself.  And, I have to say, I semi-often consider the XML capabilities (and the opportunity to manipulate) of iTunes.

hummm if i could only get the source, what i could add, what i could add...lol

So, Jazzmac,

Have you exported your Library and done any manipulation?

So, Jazzmac,

Have you exported your Library and done any manipulation?

No. I don't know enough about XML just yet. Learning SQL right now, but that is on my list of things to do.

Such great suggestions, but what you all say is very interesting, thanks guys..

mabey you could rename the library main library and create two other playlists called My Library and Mum's library