Sign in to follow this  
TacoOrtega09

Defrag program

I don't know if there is a defragmentation program built into Panther, but does anyone know of a good program for defragging? Or is this even neccessary? Also, does anyone recomend a kind of virus software? Or is that neccessary either?

relax, man. you are on a Mac now. the hardest thing about owning a Mac is resisting the urge to buy all the new stuff that Apple comes out with.

lol. I find it really hard to believe that I don't need to defrag the hard drive or scan for viruses. It used to be every sunday night I defrag, virus scan, and adaware scan. This is too simple. :D

well believe it buddy. welcome to the wonderful world of Macs. UNIX file systems are so rock solid and organized they dont need defrags because they basically do it on the fly.

lol. I find it really hard to believe that I don't need to defrag the hard drive or scan for viruses. It used to be every sunday night I defrag, virus scan, and adaware scan. This is too simple. :D

I remember when Panther came out reading this piece in Arstechnica

http://arstechnica.com/reviews/os/macosx-10.3.ars/5

"Under certain circumstances, Panther will defragment files automatically. You can read the thread in Macintoshian Achaia for all the gory details, but the short answer is that fragmented files less than 20MB large on journaled HFS+ disks are defragmented automatically in Panther when they are opened, whether for reading or for writing."

http://episteme.arstechnica.com/groupee/fo.../9900929295/p/1

I don't believe this has changed in Tiger.

Pretting remarkable for anyone who is used to the world of Windows, where I use Diskeeper to defrag every night.

A friend of my cousins said he uses onyX to defrag his system every month, and it apparently improved his system performance by quite a bit. Has anyone heard of this program, and what is a BSD subsystem?

i used to use Norton Utilities to defrag but then i noticed that after i did it, the block image of the hard drive pretty much looked the same before and after...