Sign in to follow this  
soulminer

Classic Icon In System Preferences

I unwittingly downloaded an old classic app a week or so ago, and obviously it didn't work, as I don't have OS 9 installed. I deleted the app straight away and thought nothing more of it. Now I have this "Classic" icon in the System Preferences panel under System. Is there any way to get rid of it ?? I will never use it, and it throws me out every time I see it now. Also, it doesn't appear at exactly the same time as the rest of the icons, it appears maybe half a second later, as though the System Preferences process is checking a folder or list for classic apps before it loads the icon. Any thoughts ?? I am experiencing this on an iBook G4 running 10.4.3. Thanks.

Go to System > Library > PreferencePanes and delete the file Classic.prefPane

Cheers for that Adam. I didn't really want to delete it in case it had any adverse effects or I ever did need it again in the future, so I just changed the file extension from .prefPane to something meaningless, and left it in the original folder. That's worked a treat. No more annoying icon. Thanks for the info.

Cheers for that Adam. I didn't really want to delete it in case it had any adverse effects or I ever did need it again in the future, so I just changed the file extension from .prefPane to something meaningless, and left it in the original folder. That's worked a treat. No more annoying icon. Thanks for the info.

I just deleted it and have had no problems. It should reappear if you do anything like try to run a classic program again or if you install classic.

But glad to hear you got it fixed.