Sign in to follow this  
MacCast

OS 10.4.3 Update - What's fixed. What's broken?

Post any observations of the 10.4.3 update here.

To answer a listener whose version of OnyX maintenance app did not work after updating to 10.4.3, there is a new Tiger version available for free download. It's v.1.6.5

After updating to 10.4.3 using the Software Update option, I checked the OnyX website at: http://www. titanium.free/fr and for the latest version for Tiger (I'd been using v 1.6.3 for previous 10.4.2) and got the v.1.6.5.

It downloaded quickly and launched with no problem, automatically updating my previous version. I then ran the cleanup and maintenance options and restarted per instructions.

Happy to add that 10.4.3 is zipping along.

Hope this helps anyone looking for a free all-in-one highly rated (MacWorld Magazine) maintenance app for the Mac.

--BruceG

I think it's a great idea to solicit listeners' comments regarding

changes since the last OS-X upgrade.

My observation is that, since the update, there is much less of a delay when you

increase or decrease speaker volume using fn F4 and F5. It used to be

particularly slow when the Dashboard was on screen. It's much better

under this condition as well.

Bob

It doesn't work with Transparent Dock 2.3.4. Upgrade to 2.3.5 before the tiger upgrade or else uninstall before the tiger upgrade.

I started noticing that my fans would rev up to full speed for about 10 seconds every so often on my Power Mac after installing 10.4.3. I narrowed it down to iDisk. After turning of the automatic sync of my iDisk, I have not noticed this anymore.

OS X now has the ability to totally manage the version of Camera RAW that the Canon Digital Rebel XT (350D) produces. Since this is at the OS level, iPhoto now makes use of this. Unfortunately, whenever you double-click a RAW file in iPhoto to open it with your external editor, iPhoto converts the file to a JPEG before sending it over to the external editor.

Still saving for a new computer, so I'm getting by with my PowerPC G3 slot-loading machine-- I just barely make the upgrade requirements. But I did upgrade to 10.4.3 and now have strange things happening.

First, The good news: my screensaver now works, sometimes.

The bad news: The computer will go to sleep and not wake up. I push all the keys on the keyboard, move the mouse and try to re-connect it. I end up having to push the front power button to shut down and re-start. I tried setting system preferences to "never sleep", but it doesn't work.

So far, this update has been more of a hinderance than a help.

Thanks from a wanna-be geek.

I downloaded it today.

Everythiing seems to be running fine on my machine. But i noticed these things.

1.The file size was 109mb! has anybody else had a size this big?

2.When I plugged my new ipod into the computer the fans went mentle, it sounded not unlike the wailing of a hair dryer! In a panic a restarted the machine from the button on the back and it took about 10 minutes to reboot. When I was on my user it said that mac OSX had unexpectly quit.

wierd....But it seems ok now.

109 is the standard file size for most people.

Some of use have noticed somewhere around 50, but that is only for specific machines (my new powerbook). And adam commented on this in the last cast. Apparently apple does have some stripped down versions for certain machines. I couldnt imagine what is 50mb and isnt needed on my powerbook, but whatever. If anything, you are normal, and all us 50mb have to worry.

im confused is this a new feature or one i missed...

when you do a search in spotlight(show all) or in finder next to non images or pdf you get an "i" button that gives you extra info... has anybody else notice this. is this new or is it me? (not to be confused with command-i feature).

109 is the standard file size for most people.

Some of use have noticed somewhere around 50, but that is only for specific machines (my new powerbook).  And adam commented on this in the last cast.  Apparently apple does have some stripped down versions for certain machines.  I couldnt imagine what is 50mb and isnt needed on my powerbook, but whatever.  If anything, you are normal, and all us 50mb have to worry.

When I updated my 17" PowerBook (two days after 10.4.3 was released, just in case !!), I got a 97Mb download.

I guess it depends on your model and what you have installed ?

Before 10.4.3 my Powerbook G4 1.67 Ghz would hang during reboot or shutdown. This seems to now be fixed since I've applied the 10.3.4 update. - Josh

I also had the problem with Firewire after the 10.4.3 update. My external FW drive would no longer mount. I did the update through Software Update. I usually don't do this, and instead grab the file from Apple's site for archiving. I read on MacIntouch/MacFixit where one person fixed the issue by installing the "Combo Updater" of 10.4.3 even though 10.4.3 was now on his system. I tried it and it worked. So there ya go...

The game EV Nova had a problem with some graphics after the update to 10.4.2. Those graphics are fixed now. You can read more about the problem with the game at the EV Nova forums at the link below. Look at "progress logs" (I think) for more specific problem/bug logs.

http://www.ambrosiasw.com/forums/index.php...hp?showforum=38[/url]

EDIT: A strange thing happened when I installed the update. My iBook started up to the Darwin command line instead of actually booting to Tiger... but instead of just going there, it booted, showed me the "list of users" login screen, but quickly flashed to the command line. before I could enter commands to fix that, it went to a blue screen. This fixed itself after a reboot.

EDIT2: I use an iBook G4, 1.44 Ghz, 14.1 inch screen. I got the 97 MB download. This is strange because if you look at the technical stuff, an iBook is a Powerbook, but it is white and not widescreen.

Here are the Problems I have since I upgraded my 17" PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz) with 1.5 MB Ram to Mac OS X 10.4.3:

My machine is running all the time, just when I carry it to and off from work ist is sleeping.

After a few days running and always beeing logged in I somehow loose the minimize Button in the top left corner of Applications windows.

The usually yellow button is greyed out and can not be choosen.

Anyhow minimizing through the Finder command still works.

Just a Reboot helps to repair this Problem.

Until now I was unable which applications or processes or after which runtime this failure happens.

Some readers of my website also complained, that most of their rules in Mail.app don't work any longer after upgrading to 10.4.3.

But I myself did not have that experience

...with 1.5 MB Ram...

I assume you mean 1.5 GB, right?

Of course, you're right ;-))

Yesterday I ran into this problem again, but this time I wasn't even able to minimize windows...

I really can not understand why this happens.

Sign in to follow this