Sign in to follow this  
big_rich1

Instant Messenger Cross Platform

Is there anyway I can have a video conference chat on my mac (OS X 10.4.3) with a friend on a pc (XP, poor bugger) using instant messaging software. So far the only cross platform IM ive found is MSN and that doesnt support video on the mac.

Thanks for your help mac geeks!

iChat and AIM are supposed to work together, at least according to Apple's iChat webpage.

iChat and AIM are supposed to work together, at least according to Apple's iChat webpage.

They do, tried and tested with text, not with audio/video though... It's not something i have looked into much although I have been meaning to. I may find a solution tomorrow.

(I know Google Talk will connect via the same network as Jabber, and thus to iChat but that's audio/text only)

GoogleTalk does not allow audio chat btwn PC -> Mac, just text and you have to use Jabber client on the Mac side...

Anyways, back to the topic - AIM -> iChat does work but both sides need webcams (only video -> video chats, nothing short of that (i.e. audio only chat)). Plus, on the PC side, AIM requires quite a few ports to be opened (1024 to 5000). I've tried, it works, not bad, but not as good as ichat -> ichat

Good luck and happy chatting

My bad on the Jabber audio. AIM/iChat does work, confirmed and double confirmed, but I don't think I'd say well...

AIM/ichat video/audio does work, but the AIM user is going to have a postage stamp size window for the video. You can use Trillian Pro on windows to get fullscreen video thru AIM. It works, and is a damn good application if you use more than one IM.

Great work-around idea J, I would never have thought of that. Trillian is one of the best programs ever written for Windows, I would recommend it second only to getting a Mac instead. Video through Trillian is almost certainly the way forward.