Sign in to follow this  
Vanessa

Convert m4a to mp3

Hi guys

Does anyone know if you can convert m4a files to mp3 within itunes?

My Dad wants to play songs on his o2 phone/palm thingy and they are in my itunes library as m4a files. :(

Sure can. You will need to go to your preferences. Go to the advanced section. then go to the importing section. In there change 'Import using' to MP3 Encoder. Click ok. Now right click on the song you wish to convert and in the list you will have an option to convert selection to MP3.

cbriarnold hit it right on the nose, but i just wanted to add, because it sounds like you are not totally familiar with iTunes, that if it is a song you purchased off of the iTunes music store, it will be locked, and you will not be able to covert it. There are ways around this, and they are discussed elswhere on this forum.

Its just, i dont see alot of people with m4a's that they havnt gotten off itunes. so i figured yours might be.

Thanks so much guys. I am slowly learning my way around iTunes! These songs were imported from CDs, and I just put them onto my iPod to listen to. The only trouble is if you want them on something that doesn't support the m4a format (like windows media player) it's gets tricky!

Cheers. 8)

Best way I know is to do this:

1) Go out and buy a bunch of CD-Rs

2) When you buy something from iTunes, burn it to a disk.

3) Import it.

4) Delete the originals.

-MT