Sign in to follow this  
shaiboyuk

Which 5th Gen ipod should I go for, 30gb or 60gb?

Hi All,

First time poster here, so go easy :)

i'm looking to upgrade my old 3rd 40gb iPod with a new 5th Gen iPod Video, if i can talk the partner round that is :?

Anyway, I dunno what one to go for, the 30gb or the 60gb with extra battery.

i never really used the full 40gb in my 3rd Gen iPod, but with Videos, I might fill it up. Does anyone know, if you copy over videos to the 5th Gen iPod, and its not in the required format, could you still play it out onto a TV, rather than converting it for small playback on the iPod's screen.

Also, i would need to get the new dock for it, will this allow me to charge the ipod? and if so, is there anyway of charging it from the mains? My 3rd Gen ipod has a firewire line that plugs into the mains, but guess this won't work with the 5th Gen.

Any pointers, thanks in advance.

Cheers

ShaiboyUK

I always try to get the highest capacity there is, that way there is plenty of room to grow. Videos have been taking up lots of space on my 30gb 5G iPod, which I ended up getting as a gift from my Mom so I went for the 30gig to save her some money.

roog

If you can swing the extra $100, then go for the 60 gig. You get more space and more battery life in a form factor that is smaller than the previous generation 20 gig model.

60GB.

2x the hard drive, 2x the RAM, and due to the extra RAM, better battery life.

Plus it's only $100 US ($120 CAD) more. What's $100/$120?

Have you ever had a hard drive that you thought was too large?

Yeah the first few weeks after I got my romping huge 40 meg hard drive many, many years ago. :lol:

If you are not sure, then it means you should get the 60 unless:

You feel form factor is of utmost importance

you cannot afford it.

The 30GB is SHOCKINGLY bad for videos because of battery life. 60GB is wonderful.

There is NO comparison if you can afford it, and don't mind the extra 3 mm. thickness. :P:P 8)

The batteries in both models are the exact same, it's that extra 32MB of RAM that aids in the longevity of the battery.

does that mean apple could release a memory chip for the 30gb that could contain, the extra 32mg.

Plus it's only $100 US ($120 CAD) more. What's $100/$120?

In the UK it's £80 more ($142 US). Is it still worth it?

I did not even take my own advice. I just purchased the 30 GB model. I opted for it, because I am going to take the extra $100 and apply it to an air hockey table for my family. :)

$100 for an extra 30gigs? No question. I almost was thinking about a 30gig, but I am so glad I got the 60gig. It already has 48 gigs on it! ;-)

$100 for an extra 30gigs?  No question.  I almost was thinking about a 30gig, but I am so glad I got the 60gig.  It already has 48 gigs on it! ;-)

I was going to get the 60 GB version, but I ended up taking one for the family. :)

$100 for an extra 30gigs?  No question.  I almost was thinking about a 30gig, but I am so glad I got the 60gig.  It already has 48 gigs on it! ;-)

I was going to get the 60 GB version, but I ended up taking one for the family. :)

thats a devoted father. good decision.

Hi,

Thanks for all your replies.

Well i got one, a............. Wait for it............................

<SCROLL DOWN>

<A WEE BIT MORE>

<JUST ABOUT THERE>

<OK, I'll TELL YOU>

A White 60gb iPod Video for only £270 here in the UK, Normally £299. Wooo Hooo... Thanks for everyones advice, Got some issues, but will post them in another post.

Thanks again guys/gals

Cheers

ShaiboyUK

Hi,

In a shop called Currys here in the UK. They opened a new store in my area, that had 10% off for that weekend, but they didn't have any iPod Videos. :cry: So i went to the next nearest Currys store, and because they done "Price Promise" the gave me the 10% off there too

Saves me £30, well that paid for the new IR dock :lol::D

Cheers

ShaiboyUK

Get the 60 giger because you might want to plan just incase your library grows to above 30 gigs. The 60 gig would be a better investment.

Get the 60 giger because you might want to plan just incase your library grows to above 30 gigs. The 60 gig would be a better investment.

Thanks but as already stated, I've already got the 60gb.

Cheers

ShaiboyUK

Well is there any batteries that last longer than 4 hoursfor the 5th gen under 100?

I wanna replace the internal one so i get longer battery life on a 30 gig idealy for videos like 3-5 hours.