Sign in to follow this  
craigeth

how to get independant podcasts...

does anyone know how to independantly downloaded podcasts into the podcast folder in itunes? i dont use itunes to download podcasts, i normally just go to the website and download them 'manually'. so, anyone gonna help?

Here is what I have done in the past...

On the webpage which has the link to the RSS feed for the Podcast. (Usually this is the subscribe button on the website) If you are in Safari then right click (command/apple - click) on the link and "Copy Address to clipboard." Then, in iTunes, under the "Advanced" menu is the option "Subscribe to Podcast." Click on this option and paste the address from Safari into the window which comes up.

That should do it. iTunes should now look at the RSS feed for the podcast you just subscribed to when you click the update button or when iTunes updates automatically as set in your iTunes preferences.

If that isn't what you were looking for then let me know more details and we can work on something else!

If you already downloaded it manually, drag it into your Library. Once it's there, if it doesn't show up in your Podcasts directory, Get Info on it and either pick Podcast as the Genre or add it to the current Genre of the file.

ive already tried changing teh genre but that doesnt put it in the podcasts folder.

i think i typoed in my first post. what i want to do is get my manually downloaded podcasts into the podcast folder. i dont like using itunes to download podcasts very much so thats why i usually do it straight from the website

Looking at my Library, I think the only Podcasts which go into the standard Podcast folder are those which come thru ITMS. I subscribe to 15 or so and the only one showing in the 'system' Podcast folder is the one I used ITMS for the subscription. The rest, I use iPodderX (which, I really like, BTW, and you should check out at http://ipodderx.com/ ). I have a couple smart playlists called 'Podcasts All' and 'Podcasts to Go'. They both have the Podcast Genre as the main criteria. The 'to go' list filters out those podcasts I have marked as Heard in the Grouping. I'm not yet satisfied with Apple's podcast implementation, either.

Looking at my Library, I think the only Podcasts which go into the standard Podcast folder are those which come thru ITMS.  I subscribe to 15 or so and the only one showing in the 'system' Podcast folder is the one I used ITMS for the subscription.  The rest, I use iPodderX (which, I really like, BTW, and you should check out at http://ipodderx.com/ ).  I have a couple smart playlists called 'Podcasts All' and 'Podcasts to Go'.  They both have the Podcast Genre as the main criteria.  The 'to go' list filters out those podcasts I have marked as Heard in the Grouping.  I'm not yet satisfied with Apple's podcast implementation, either.

I do pretty much the exact same thing as Huskermn.

It seems like Apple have created an AOL style "walled garden" with podcasts within iTunes.

thanks a bunch for your help. that worked out great!