Sign in to follow this  
The Professor

Sony Audio CD DRM Includes Kernel Extensions for OS X

You've probably heard about the root kit that Sony designed for Windows users that play one of their audio CDs on a PC. But did you know that Sony is also tinkering with the kernel in Mac OS X computers?

The same Sony/BMG DRM "enhanced" CDs that install spyware on Windows computers also include a start.app program for OS X. Apparently it installs kernel extensions on your OS X computer. An article on MacDailyNews suggests that it may be time to boycott Sony products.

http://tinyurl.com/9xw5r

I'm willing to let them pound sand.

I doubt Sony executives really understood the implications of the software they allowed on some of "their" CD's.

However, the whole situation is typical of the record industry not really getting what consumers want. They still seem to think that they can get people to buy the same music over and over again, every time the format changes.

First vinyl, then cassette, then CD, then DRMed AAC/WMA.

Now they're trying to charge by hardware platform - PC/iPod/etc, Cell Phone, PSP.

Sony aren't any worse than the other companies, they've just been caught out.

I support a boycott of Sony products, hopefully it would send out a warning shot to the whole music/movie industry.

HEY GUYS, THERE'S BITTORRENT OUT THERE!

I started my proceedings way back when, just as I refuse to buy any EA software of any kind. Companies that don't respect their customers don't get respected. Simple as that.

The same Sony/BMG DRM "enhanced" CDs that install spyware on Windows computers also include a start.app program for OS X. Apparently it installs kernel extensions on your OS X computer. An article on MacDailyNews suggests that it may be time to boycott Sony products.

You know, I just feel that this is a MAJOR invasion of privacy. They don't want us to pirate their music...Fine but I don't want them installing/patching stuff on my computers!! I too am in support of a boycot of Sony and their overpowering ways.

I was reading an article the other day... although I don't remember where.. on the new digital music industry and the article showed the music sales for actual CD purchases made when Napster and other pirating companies were still running. The sales were actually higher for purchased CDs while these companies were allowing pirated musc than they are now.

I think that Sony is cutting themselves off at the knees with being so woried about DRM. I for one will not be buying any Sony music until they bend to what we, the consumers, want for once!

Sony products are off my list, I am not their guinea pig nor do they pay me any money to use me as market research. Until they do, no more Sony stuff for me.

roog

I doubt Sony executives really understood the implications of the software they allowed on some of "their" CD's.  

However, the whole situation is typical of the record industry not really getting what consumers want. They still seem to think that they can get people to buy the same music over and over again, every time the format changes.

First vinyl, then cassette, then CD, then DRMed AAC/WMA.  

Now they're trying to charge by hardware platform - PC/iPod/etc, Cell Phone, PSP.

Sony aren't any worse than the other companies, they've just been caught out.

I support a boycott of Sony products, hopefully it would send out a warning shot to the whole music/movie industry.

HEY GUYS, THERE'S BITTORRENT OUT THERE!

I think Sony execs knew exactly what they were doing. This is not the first DRM they've tried on CDs. I quit buying Sony stuff a LONG time ago.

I think Sony execs knew exactly what they were doing.  This is not the first DRM they've tried on CDs.

You're right, I take this back. Subsequently, reading the responses from Sony regarding the whole fiasco, they clearly believe it's totally ok to do what they did.