Sign in to follow this  
stealthboy

Odd keyboard issue...

Hi all, I was the one that contacted Adam about my weird keyboard issue, so I thought I would start a topic here in case anyone has some ideas. So if my machine is sitting for about five minutes or more it will ignore the first keypress I make on the keyboard. For example, if the machine is sitting there, and the screensaver is going, I can move on the trackpad to bring up the password dialog, but the first key is ignored and it picks up at the second keypress, so my password is always wrong when I first type it. Also, say it's sitting for a bit playing iTunes, if I press the F11 key for expose, it ignores it. I have to press F11 again to get it to fire expose.

Weird, eh? It's like the keyboard "goes to sleep" or something, and need one keypress to "wake it". Odd indeed. I have called Apple tech support and they had me do a NVRAM and PRAM reset. No external keybaords or mice are ever used with this PowerBook G4.

Thoughts?

I have the same issue. It appears to be derived from the last mega-update. This "sleep" issue also extends to the trackpad. I have no external devices attached besides my ipod. It is annoying!

it may seem shallow. but.....

heck......Why dont you guys just treat yourselfs to a brand new apple laptops?

Dont have a fix, but this happens on my PowerBook, this bug was present back on I think 10.4.0 or maybe 10.4.1 but it was fixed with 10.4.2 but now back with 10.4.3

On my PowerBook I use "require password to wake this computer from sleep or screensaver" and what I found (not every time) is it will not register the first letter of my password.

So like the other poster you need to press it twice.

Guess it will maybe get fixed with 10.4.4

R :)

Hi all. Just wanted to report the same problem on my Powerbook (15", 1.5 GHz).

After updating to 10.4.3 I've been experiencing the same keyboard behaviour you're describing. First key press doesn't register, then the second one does. I hadn't linked it to sleep issues, but it does seem to occur after a certain duration of inactivity. We could probably time it; I'll bet it's the same duration for everyone.

I don't have any special energy saver settings (normal for battery, set to 'never' when running on AC power) and I don't require a screensaver password.

I sent a short write-up to MacFixit a week or so ago, and it was part of their troubleshooting report but there was no solution. I'll try submitting the bug to Apple.

I am new to Apple with a Mac Mini being my first personally owned "Mac" so my experience is limited and these comments may not be totally relevant to this problem. When I log in again from sleep, there is a slight delay before the cursor begins to blink, if I begin typing too soon I too "lose" the first letter and then have the same symptons described in this post. Don't know if it will help but it maybe worth checking out.

I am guessing it is exactly what you said-- the keyboard goes to sleep. Does it do the same think when you use the keyboard to wake the computer instead of the trackpad? If it doesn't, than the keyboard just ignores the first stroke, as you use that one to wake the keyboard up, not the computer.

My Apple set up is Mac Mini so the trackpad question doesn't apply. I think your assumption is right, the first keystroke is "used" to wake the machine and only when it's "fully awake" can you begin typing. Is it that simple?

Sign in to follow this