Sign in to follow this  
ansfrid

Enter = launch...how?

This seems like the simplest request, but I haven't figured it out. When I select a file in a directory window, I want to launch it when I hit enter....not rename it. I can click Apple-o, that works, but I don't want to have to do that. How do I make the enter key launch the selected file?

There's a bunch of MS Windows XP shortcuts, ways and methods for working that are quite difficult habits to break when you come back to the Mac - I know, I fix Windows XP machines all day for offices full of brain dead morons and find myself going to the bottom of the screen looking for the Start button when I return home to a real computer.

Unfortunately this is the ONE THING Windows does that I wish it was possible to do on the Mac, which as far as I'm aware you cannot do , nor can you re-define the keyboard key for Open / Launch yourself.

If I'm wrong, please - anyone who knows - let us know.

All you need to do is hold apple key and hit the down arrow

all the best

Or I can hit apple-o, that's not my point. I was looking for a 1 key launch, and the enter button is really a very logical one...ie: enter the file.

Damn. A small hindrance of the mac. Ah well

two keys opposed to one? thats just being lazy man

Maybe it is easier to hit command- down arrow? If you get used to usiing command up arrow and down arrow it isn't that annoying. Look into QuickSilver if you are into keyboard navigation.

Really, I used to feel the same way. But the Mac way is the better way. I got used to it and I love it. What Windows needs is a one-key shortcut to rename. Too damn complicated to rename a file in Windows.

what if you go in to the

system preferences and assigng a short cut under the

keyoard & mouse controls

in keyboard shortcuts