Sign in to follow this  

As Promised... Photose of Nano Scratching

Since none of the complainers were able to provide adequate photos of their iPod Nano scratches, I have taken up the initiative and done it for them (hold your applause... I'm not supporting your lawsuit so you might want to sit down and hear what I have to say first).

First, the photos. Not only did I go so far as to photograph a Nano, but I also photographed my wife's U2 iPod as well to show the differences (PLEASE NOTE THAT NO PHOTO RETOUCHING OR EDITING WAS DONE. THESE PHOTOS APPEAR JUST AS THEY WERE TAKEN):

nano01.jpg

nano02.jpg

nano03.jpg

nano04.jpg

nano05.jpg

I will say this. There WAS a difference between the U2 iPod and the Nano. The Nano definitely had WAY more scratches... or so it looked. See, if you turn the Nano on it's side and look at the difference in surface coating, there is a TON MORE surface coating on the Nano then there is on the U2 iPod. What this means is that light has MUCH more room to play tricks on your eyes. In the end, the unit still played music well and the screen was easily viewable, even with scratches.

Thus, my fellow Mac Geeks, I submit to you the following:

Get a case, get some cleaner, quit complaining and move on.

Thank you.

- MT

I also have the Nano sitting in front of me charging. I turned it on to see what the screen looked like with the scratches... and I could see everything just fine. This further goes to show that the lawsuit is rediculous.

- MT

yeah thge new ones do come with cases they really are good, very soft I cant find a single scratch on my new ipod video, even on the back!

Personally I am getting an iSkin when I get my new vPod.

- MT

yeah thge new ones do come with cases they really are good, very soft I cant find a single scratch on my new ipod video, even on the back!

It's not just the videos, it was always a feature that the videos had cases in the box, but now Nanos do too (all be it undocumented).

unacceptable scratches, huh? just makes you realize how spoiled we are as a society. its too bad that they have to look through a few small scratches to view the photos they are carrying around that they normally wouldn't be able to, and listen to 1000 songs in a machine that is damn near the size of a money clip. all this good stuff and they didn't make it scratch proof? :cry: cry me a river. thanks matt. i am gonna steal the photos, if you don't mind, to show my friends what everyone is all butt-hurt over.

box

They do scratch very easy, my 5G iPod has a few already. I think the included case sucks, I've been carrying mine in an old Oakley sunglass bag.

I don't think I'm spoiled, I think after spending $300 on something it should look as good as my 4 year old 1G iPod, which doesn't scratch as easily and cost $100 more at the time.

roog

They do scratch very easy, my 5G iPod has a few already.  I think the included case sucks, I've been carrying mine in an old Oakley sunglass bag.

I don't think I'm spoiled, I think after spending $300 on something it should look as good as my 4 year old 1G iPod, which doesn't scratch as easily and cost $100 more at the time.

roog

no, i think you are spoiled like no other. Get off your high horse. oooo $300, big freakin deal.. The thing is amazing. And have you looked at it lately? if you look at a product like this all glossy, and polished metal and think it wont scratch, you are out of your mind. People that dont want scratches, should stick to the minis and shut the hell up already.

They do scratch very easy, my 5G iPod has a few already.  I think the included case sucks, I've been carrying mine in an old Oakley sunglass bag.

roog

is yours black?

For 4 years I've owned an iPod that hasn't scratched as much as my new one has in 2 weeks. As a consumer, I appreciate users sharing their experiences and reviews on any item, whether it be a $4 part or $4000. Obviously the scratching issue hasn't stopped me from buying a 5G iPod and it won't be my last, I am not badmouthing Apple or anyone else for that matter.

You both are entitled to your opinions, but to ridicule someone because of their own opinion is unacceptable. Why you feel I am on some kind of high horse I have no idea, my original post was to confirm that the new ones do scratch more easily. What you choose to do with that information is up to you.

roog

just a question. is it black? i am going to buy one soon and was wondering if white was just as prone? i agree. i will buy one anyways. just curious. the thing i disagree with is a class action lawsuit.

Yes, I have a black one. I went to see for myself when the Nano reports first came out, we have an Apple Store in Kansas City. The display models were equally scratched up between the white and black models, but common sense says that the black ones are easier to see the scratches on of course, no one will dispute that.

Both of my iPods were gifts from my wife (except for a Silver Mini that I bought used and ended up selling to a coworker) and if the scratching issue was that big of a deal to me I wouldn't have gotten one. I don't see a need to sue anyone over it, that's just ridiculous, they are not marketed as scratch proof.

roog

just a question. is it black?  i am going to buy one soon and was wondering if white was just as prone?  i agree.  i will buy one anyways.  just curious.  the thing i disagree with is a class action lawsuit.

I have not seen many (or any that i can immediatly think of) issues of the white ones scratching. Or i assume you just cant see it as much. If you are really concerned about it, i would get a white one.

I wonder if this is happening because of the black color since on white we don't see the scratches as clear? My wife's black Nano has been in a Apple sock since Day 1. There were no cases at that time when I bought it for her. I put a protective film on the screen as well and all of this has helped. The only scratches I have seen are very light and probably from her thumbnail when she is selecting a song with the click wheel. Her previous ipod, the U2 black ipod, had some scratches but that was before getting a case for it. Even with cases, depending what type, you will always get some scratches. I just sold my 4G white ipod photo and it was in an iSkin case and protective film since Day 1, and it had some scratches. We really can't expect perfection from these things. The Sony PSP is the same thing, it's not only Apple. I think if you're not careful with your purchases, the Nano isn't for you. Lawsuits are ridiculous.