Sign in to follow this  
Dinger

I want to switch, hurry up and launch the Intel Macs Apple!!

Hi everyone.

firstly, Adam, if you read this, congratulations on 100 episodes of the maccast, I have been a subscriber since the end of september and think the show is great, even for someone who doesn't own a mac and still uses windows.

im bored with windows, and fed up with microsoft.

Im a student in the UK studying HND Computing, and my Uni has a room full of shiny mac G5s, and a load of emacs (i think thats right, im still not 100% with all the different types) for the last two years, i have walked past this room most mornings and not thought anything of it.

my interest in macs started building since i went to the apple website for the first time, just before I got my iPod mini 18 months ago. (I just upgraded to the new 5th Gen 30GB Black iPod because my collection aout grew my mini)

This year I have heard a great deal about the mac mini and the launch of OS X 10.4 Tiger and seeing some of steve's presentations on the features of tiger and the mac mini has increased my interest even further, to the point where i am 95% likely to convert - im even buying mac magazines now :D

as part of my uni course one of my lecturers managed to get us in to the mac suite for an hour a week, so I got my first taste of OS X (10.2 - Panther) 6 weeks ago.

its taking a bit of time to get used to, (especially the keyboard, there are lods of wierd arrows and things that i dont know what they do!) but its going quite well, I just bought the missing manual for panther, so that will probably help to explain a few things when it arrives.

if you have read this far, congratulations! I do tend to start babbling and get a bit carried away sometimes. :oops:

now, to my main point.

Im waiting for Apple to launch the Intel Mac Mini before i switch (i read all the rumour sites and the latest is that there is going to be an announcement @ macworld in early january)

I have some really stupidly basic questions i would like some answers to before i go ahead and take the plunge.

1) Can you easily partition the hard drive? (I have 5 different patitions on my 80GB Windows Laptop, and would like a similar setup on my mac) can you do this from the installation CD like you can with windows? or do you have to use third party software?

2) can I open/save to MS Office file formats without having to my MS Office for mac? or is that asking too much?

3) how do i copy all of my files over from my windows machine to my mac (I know the genius's at the apple store do this free, but my nearest apple store is 400 miles away!)

thats all the questions i can think of right now, there were others but i have forgotten them, if i remember them or think of any more i will post another reply.

thanks for bearing with me, i told you i babble! :D

I appreciate any advice.

Dinger :)

1) Yes you can partition your hard drive. It's not a problem and you don't need to buy any additional software to do it.

2) I don't believe that any of the included software will allow to to save in MS Office formats, although TextEdit will allow you to save as RTF. There is a free Office alternative called NeoOffice (or something like that). It can do it, but I don't know how accurate it is.

3) If you have a network, it shouldn't be a problem seeing your PC drive on your Mac. It'll be slower than a direct connection, but it should be fast enough.

I got my first taste of OS X (10.2 - Panther) 6 weeks ago.

Just wait until you try Tiger!

3) how do i copy all of my files over from my windows machine to my mac (I know the genius's at the apple store do this free, but my nearest apple store is 400 miles away!)

You can use your iPod to move files, but I'm not sure about the speed of the transfer. It has details on how to do it on the Apple site. Has anyone ever done it before?

Linkie: http://www.apple.com/switch/howto/ipod.html

When I switched (using 10.4.2) I simply ran a patch cable from my PC to my new Powerbook and opened the network folder in Finder. I was prompted for a password and voilá. I simply dragged and dropped what I wanted to keep.

I know that TextEdit (Mac version of WordPad/Notepad if you like) can open *.doc (MS Word) files. I don't really know about other Office formats as I have since destroyed such data in all honesty. I bought MS Office 2004 Professional when I bought the Mac, but I uninstalled it a week later and haven't found a need for it since.

Partitioning is built into the OS on Macs, it's fairly simple but some quick Google searches will tell you some do's and don't's when booting from the same physical drive.

Hope that helps.

not forgetting you can get open office for the mac that opens those docs for you. However this is not an native app so does not blend in nicely with the OS but still works (just looks a bit windows like). The good news tho is the OOo team are working on a OS X native version of their suit so give it a while and that may surface.

If your a student you can get office:mac at a very nice discount price.

You can partition your hard drive, but I wonder for what pupose. Same question with partitioning an 80GB drive 5 times, why? On windows machines I used to always use 1 partition for the OS and 1 for everything else which can be cool, but other than that I see no point. Any major software suite is able to open the files from a PC and the same software i.e. Adobe, Microsoft, whatever so no problem there. I am not familiar with just running a patch cable as someone else suggested although that would certainly be cool, otherwise just use your Ipod if you have USB 2.0 on your PC it is fast enough. Another solution would be to buy an external drive enclosre that has both USB and firewire connections then get a hard drive to go in it [this is a very cost effective way to get an external hard drive] then use it transfer the files and when you are done you have an external firewire hard drive for your mac. I also currently use a PC at home [no where else] and I am going to upgrade as soon as a 15" powermac with an intel chip is released.

Check out ThinkFree Office. It is very compatible with all the Office documents that I have tried with it so far and it is not very expensive.

http://www.thinkfree.com/

Why wait for the intels. In fact I am stocking up on macs before they switch!

Dude, macs will be cheaper when the intels come out.

Do you really think they will? I believe that we will not see much of a difference in price, IMHO. I don't think that the CPU was that much of the cost of the current lineup, but, of course, I could be wrong.

when the intel macs are out they will have to be cheaper to clear out the stock. I mean 2 Macs at the same price, different proccessors one faster than the other? which one are you gonna get?

I think that they'll bring the ibook down in price to compete with say Dell's very cheap low end laptops. Probably with some sort of celeron yonah, which is to be released by intel in time for the wwdc 06. :wink:

when the intel macs are out they will have to be cheaper to clear out the stock. I mean 2 Macs at the same price, different proccessors one faster than the other? which one are you gonna get?

I thought you meant that Intel based Macs would be cheaper. :)

Yes, the current line, if there are any available, should be cheaper than the newer ones once they come out with Intel based Macs.

also. please Apple no, dual booting unless it doesn't get viruses.

I hope apple does not restrict users like that.....

also. please Apple no, dual booting unless it doesn't get viruses.

Dual booting won't affect the Mac partition. Windows won't have read/write access to the HFS partition, so you're pretty much safe from most things. You should probably read up to see what dual booting is, I think you're not quite sure:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dual_booting

Dual botting w/ Windows is going to be a MAJOR selling point of the Macs.

This duel booting with Windows has got me thinking because if you can by any mac that has an intel chip inside and duel boot Windows, would that worry other manufactures like Dell and try and get them to duel boot with macs??? If so that would get loads more people into the mac OS and hopefully Apple will get olot more swtchers

This duel booting with Windows has got me thinking because if you can by any mac that has an intel chip inside and duel boot Windows, would that worry other manufactures like Dell and try and get them to duel boot with macs??? If so that would get loads more people into the mac OS and hopefully Apple will get olot more swtchers

Right now Apple has said they aren't going to let people install it on just any computer, only Macs. It may change, but for the time being, that won't happen.

update:

I Sold my Windows Laptop to my brother over christmas and am back on a desktop machine. (Its driving me nuts! windows keeps giving me grief, I think it knows im moving to a mac :D )

I'm pretty much ready to go, my biggest worry at the moment is my email, I use a pretty much unknown email program called the bat! and AFAICS they don't do a mac version, so im going to have to figure out how to export all of my email (I know how to export the emails, just not which type of file the Mac mail client uses, any help?)

Apart from that I think im going to be ok, there is a program similar in functionality to trillian which i currently use (although the name escapes me at the moment lol.)

I have changed my mind.. since selling my laptop im hating being tied down to a desk again, after 3 years of having the laptop its come as a bit of a shock to me lol.

So for that reason I have decided to switch my buying plans from a mac mini to a Powerbook. (I have all my fingers and toes crossed that come tuesday Steve Jobs will announce shiney new intel Powerbooks, NOT new ibooks, the rumour sites seem to be undecided on which it will be.)

I have also decided that it looks like im going to have to buy MS Office, mainly for peace of mind because I will need to be able to save files into the MS formats as part of my Uni Course.

I have a few more questions, apart from the mail problem above.

Im thinking of taking a trip to the Regent Street store when I buy my Powerbook, (its 400 miles away and 6 Hours by coach!) partly because I want to go to the store and partly because i can get my hands on one before I buy it and can mess about with it and also because I can ask the geniuses (is that a word?!?) any late questions I think of.

Im a Student, do the retail stores give the student discount (specifically does the Regent Street store?)

Do the retail stores offer the same optional upgrades that the online store does? (for example if I wanted an extra 512mb RAM, will they be able to fit it there and then or stock it so i can fit it seperatly?)

are the retail prices the same as the online ones? (im assuming they are.)

Thanks, and roll on Tuesday!!

• Like 1

i found that when i went to the mac store in regent street i could get the standard uk student discount, however the ram upgrade for my mini mac would have cost more because the apple store has to sell the orginal machine with the 256mb stick of ram and then the sell me the sitick of 512mb upgrade and because the mini has only one ram slot the orginal 256mg stick is useless, where as the online store can build to order saving me some money

Hi everyone.

firstly, Adam, if you read this, congratulations on 100 episodes of the maccast, I have been a subscriber since the end of september and think the show is great, even for someone who doesn't own a mac and still uses windows.

im bored with windows, and fed up with microsoft.

Im a student in the UK studying HND Computing, and my Uni has a room full of shiny mac G5s, and a load of emacs (i think thats right, im still not 100% with all the different types) for the last two years, i have walked past this room most mornings and not thought anything of it.

my interest in macs started building since i went to the apple website for the first time, just before I got my iPod mini 18 months ago. (I just upgraded to the new 5th Gen 30GB Black iPod because my collection aout grew my mini)

This year I have heard a great deal about the mac mini and the launch of OS X 10.4 Tiger and seeing some of steve's presentations on the features of tiger and the mac mini has increased my interest even further, to the point where i am 95% likely to convert - im even buying mac magazines now :D

as part of my uni course one of my lecturers managed to get us in to the mac suite for an hour a week, so I got my first taste of OS X (10.2 - Panther) 6 weeks ago.

its taking a bit of time to get used to, (especially the keyboard, there are lods of wierd arrows and things that i dont know what they do!) but its going quite well, I just bought the missing manual for panther, so that will probably help to explain a few things when it arrives.  

if you have read this far, congratulations! I do tend to start babbling and get a bit carried away sometimes.  :oops:  

now, to my main point.

Im waiting for Apple to launch the Intel Mac Mini before i switch (i read all the rumour sites and the latest is that there is going to be an announcement @ macworld in early january)

I have some really stupidly basic questions i would like some answers to before i go ahead and take the plunge.  

1) Can you easily partition the hard drive? (I have 5 different patitions on my 80GB Windows Laptop, and would like a similar setup on my mac) can you do this from the installation CD like you can with windows? or do you have to use third party software?

2) can I open/save to MS Office file formats without having to my MS Office for mac? or is that asking too much?  

thats all the questions i can think of right now, there were others but i have forgotten them, if i remember them or think of any more i will post another reply.

thanks for bearing with me, i told you i babble! :D

I appreciate any advice.

Dont worry! only two days from now (probably)

update:

Apart from that I think im going to be ok, there is a program similar in functionality to trillian which i currently use (although the name escapes me at the moment lol.)

Adium X

I have also decided that it looks like im going to have to buy MS Office, mainly for peace of mind because I will need to be able to save files into the MS formats as part of my Uni Course.

Save the money and check out Think Free Office. It is much cheaper and reads and writes all the current MS Office formats. I have had no problems with it so far.

another update.

well now the intel macs are here I ordered a 1.83Ghz macbook Pro on the internet earlier today (decided i would get it faster than retail stores and 12 hours on a coach :shock: ), I also got education discount and was eligible for the MS Office rebate promo that is running til jan 31st so i went for that too.

total price, a whopping £1621.23 including education discount & VAT (sales tax)

that works out at $ 2,854.50 at today's exchange rate.

next on my "to buy" list is .mac, iWork'06 & applecare.

Im now a mac geek in training :D