Sign in to follow this  
Pasha

Backup 3

I d/l Backup 3, and let it do it's stuff and it backed up my HD to itself, every day it did this for 2 weeks. Only when my 47GB free space was reduced to 7GB did I get concerned.

Anyway I looked at

http://discussions.info.apple.com/webx?14@...SoY.0@.68bbe6f5

And downloaded "Disk Inventory X"

I was horrified at what I saw... I never asked Backup to clone EVERYTHING to itself. I deleted the Backups and restored the space. Then I disabled Backup to anything other than DVD or iDisk.

What a stupid program (Backup 3.0) .... comments on Apple support bear this out...

Anyway, this is just FYI

I wasn't familiar with "Disk Inventory X", tried it...what a great program! For anyone who hasn't tried it I'd recommend it. Simple idea, but very effective.

In the thread link, funny to see the Norton file called "spacesuckingfile.XXXXXX". Norton produce such crap on the Mac.

I agree, the disk program is excellent, and the Norton name is ridiculous... maybe they think that, as it's hidden, no-one will ever see it

I'm lost. Why did you backup your hard drive to your hard drive? That doesn't do much good.

I think I accepted the default schedule when I installed Backup 3... which includes all sorts of schemes. I know of no rational reason I would ever back up my HD to my HD if I were sober. I don't think I thought it would be so stupid to back up everything.... which it was, and it did ....

So that's what happened, and I'm not alone if you look at the URL I posted earler to Apples Backup support forum....

Anyway, I have deleted all schedules, so Backup 3 is now just an empty shell, awaiting the release of Backup 22 by when it might be capable of deciding what needs saving as well as a human.... ;-)

I don't use the preinstalled schedules, but I've never had any problems with Back up 3.0. It works well with my .Mac, with my BU hard drive, and with DVDs.

It seems as efficient as Retrospect but was a whole lot easier to set up.

-Rob

I d/l Backup 3, and let it do it's stuff and it backed up my HD to itself, every day it did this for 2 weeks. Only when my 47GB free space was reduced to 7GB did I get concerned.

:-k I've been thinking about this because I don't have any problems at all with BU 3.

Most readers here have probably already figured this out, but I'm slow so please forgive me.

If you backup to the drive you are actually backing up. In creating the back up, you create another file that needs to be backed up the next day. So essentially you create a recursive algorithm of backups that grow expontentially, which is probably why your free space declined so rapidly.

I didn't read the forum for the URL you posted, so send me a nasty emoticon if I'm way off base here. Sorry. :wink:

Best Regards,

-Rob

What you say sounds right, but in practice it knew not to back up the backups.

There was a main backup file and then daily update files. I think the use of backing up the HD was if I deleted a file and needed it back, but if I did that the chances are it would be one of MY files and not a system file...

I remember allowing it to back stuff up to the HD, I just said "Yes" but I never gave a thought to what it was doing... :oops: