Sign in to follow this  
GetGo

External HD Problems

I have 3 external HD's. Two Iomega drives an 80 and a 120. Both of these drives mounted on my iBook G4 and my PC. I also have a mini HD that I built, a laptop drive in a case. This drive also works with both iBook and PC. When I received my new iMac G5 I plugged in the mini laptop external and it mounted and I copied my files.

Since the new update 10.4.3 the laptop drive won't mount. Then I tried the 2 Iomega drive s and they don't mount either. All the drives are firewire.

All of these drives are formatted in Fat32 format.

Can you guys let me know if other people are having this problem and can it be fixed. I am using my iMac G5 most of the time and I have no way to back it up.

I called Apple tech support and they couldn't help he said check Iomega's site fora software update. I think that a bunch of bull.

It is possible the drivers need updated, but, I doubt it, too. Have you checked to see if they show in Disk Utility?

Hi GetGo

If I were you I would purchase some pro software like Tech Tool Pro or an appropriate software from Alsoft.com

Either that or Norton Utilities perhaps, but for external disks that is what I would do because in order to be succesful these independant Utility companies have to talk to all kinds of drives etc in different formats.

I'm NOT an expert but recently had to get Disk Warrior to fix a problem of communication from my Mac G5 to an EZ Quest 125gbyte external disk. It worked perfectly! I mean it's worth getting anyway for solving external directory problems in my own view, however you need to make the decision yourself and please don't blame me if it doesn't work!! Maybe others have some advice too for you..?

Cheers

Paul

DiskWarrior and TechToolPro are both very good utilities. I'd stay away from Norton. They really haven't kept up very well and I've heard more than one horror story where Norton actually made things worse. Both programs are worth the money and a good thing to have around if you don't mind the cost. Disk Utility is often enough, but, not always.

I saw discussions of this exact problem resulting from a 10.4.3 upgrade on the macfixit site today. Check it out if you are among those affected. macfixit.com